Chocolatey - Windows Package Manager that FreeCAD can be installed from

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Chocolatey - Windows Package Manager that FreeCAD can be installed from

Post by Kunda1 »

redbaron2 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:54 pm I'm sorry to say, but Automatic, delta updates is a different language to me. I don't know what you mean by it. If delta updates refers to something else other than https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases for the windows development channel. I am completely lost.

I will setup the package to include Package Parameters that will allow the installing user to decide were to have FreeCAD to be installed.
Does the exe install have a directory option/switch?

Thanks for the assistance.
RB
Delta updates:
A delta update is an update that only requires the user to download the code that has changed, not the whole program. It can significantly save time and bandwidth. The name is drawn from the fact that the Greek letter delta, Δ or δ, is used to denote change in mathematical sciences.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:49 pmDelta updates:
A delta update is an update that only requires the user to download the code that has changed, not the whole program.
I appreciate all the help, but I do require a little more assistance. Since Kunda1 mentions the dev updates are to be delta updates.

The Chocolatey default location for extraction of zip files is a lib folder deep inside the system directory structure. I'm fairly sure no one wants to have to find this location or use it for FreeCAD.
  • I just would like to ask for a general directory location for these updates (ex: C:\FreeCAD_Delta )?
  • Also Would the FreeCAD Community want/need Desktop Shortcuts to the delta update executable files?
These are needed for me to proceed in developing this package further in Chocolatey
Thanks again for the Assistance
RB
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote:
This is out of my depth since I'm not a packager
@sgrogan would you mind responding to @redbaron2?

@redbaron2 thank you for you persistence
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

redbaron2 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:03 am I appreciate all the help, but I do require a little more assistance. Since Kunda1 mentions the dev updates are to be delta updates.
Sorry I missed this until now.

The binary packages for the dev builds on Windows, provided on the releases page, are not delta updates. This is a goal and I probably confused this when i asked earlier if Chocolatey had this capability. From dev build to dev build only a small portion of the files change, but the release page dev builds require a download of the full package. We have tried some experiments where I have uplaoded only the changed files and these were to be copy/replaced over an existing build, the required download was decreased by about 80%. This had the disadvantage that files that were renamed/deleted remained on the users's system. If Chocolatey does not have a "diff" capability you can ignore this.

If I'm not clear please ask for clarification.
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:54 am @redbaron2 thank you for you persistence
+1
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:13 pm
redbaron2 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:03 am I appreciate all the help, but I do require a little more assistance.
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:54 am @redbaron2 thank you for you persistence
+1
So lets drop the discussion of delta updates and focus on what is remaining. @redbaron2 has some pending issues:
1. Where to install FreeCAD dev version on windows? (Where is FreeCAD dev version being installed in Windows in general?)
2. Should chocolatey automatically create a link to the desktop?

In regards to #2 I'm wondering if chocolatey can query the user about this? If not, then perhaps we just skip this step ?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:23 pm So lets drop the discussion of delta updates and focus on what is remaining. @redbaron2 has some pending issues:
For 1. on Win the dev builds are not installed. I usually just use 7zips extract here. This makes a folder in downloads that has the same name as the full package name.
For 2. If the file is un-zipped (or installed) to something like "C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\FreeCAD-dev" then it would be disariable to create a desktop shortcut, maybe called FreeCAD-dev, so stable and dev exist side by side.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Moved to Packaging subforum

Downstream update: FreeCAD dev version is ready for testing on Chocolatey
https://github.com/chocolatey-community ... -533203013
https://github.com/chocolatey-community ... /pull/1277
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

Happy New Year FreeCAD Users

I have been working on updating my PR for the Chocolatey FreeCAD Package. I have it narrowed down to install the Development or Stable Releases which is the Good news.

Now for the BAD News
I just can't get the Development builds to run at all in my test computer(s). I was under the impression that the zip contained everything needed to run FreeCAD.

Portable Releases
I was working on adding in the Portable versions as well to the package. This presented an interesting bug that I hope Kunda1 can answer. The past four portable releases have all had the extraction folder be everything from FreeCAD, conda-0.18.4, to having No Folder. I'm just asking if there can be some uniformity of these folders like the Development Releases?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

redbaron2 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:58 am Now for the BAD News
I just can't get the Development builds to run at all in my test computer(s). I was under the impression that the zip contained everything needed to run FreeCAD.
I recently upgraded my compiler to VS2019 and I had some packaging issues with vsredist. I think this should be fixed in 0.19.19127 and above. Feedback welcome.
redbaron2 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:58 am Portable Releases
I was working on adding in the Portable versions as well to the package. This presented an interesting bug that I hope Kunda1 can answer. The past four portable releases have all had the extraction folder be everything from FreeCAD, conda-0.18.4, to having No Folder. I'm just asking if there can be some uniformity of these folders like the Development Releases?
I'll look into this, I didn't make any changes on purpose :?
"fight the good fight"
redbaron2

Post by redbaron2 »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:46 pm I recently upgraded my compiler to VS2019 and I had some packaging issues with vsredist. I think this should be fixed in 0.19.19127 and above. Feedback welcome.
Yes this version seems to run. I will test it later to see if it works on AppVeyor
sgrogan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:46 pm I'll look into this, I didn't make any changes on purpose :?