two questions on my attic design

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
brjhaverkamp

Re: two questions on my attic design

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Just to complete this thread, I downloaded a recent build and can confirm the bug is solved.
Thanks everyone and especially furti for creating the patch!

Regards,

Bert
Geoplace

Post by Geoplace »

brjhaverkamp wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:56 pm Just to complete this thread, I downloaded a recent build and can confirm the bug is solved.
Thanks everyone and especially furti for creating the patch!
Great.
Can you post your About FreeCAD info? Just to have the complete info of the version that you talk about.

Regards
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Fair point:-)
Not sure at what version I had it working first, but at least this version is sufficient to solve problem 1 from my initial mail.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.1.
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.15+
Qt version: 5.11.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Regarding problem 2, this is solved via Regis advice to install the BIM workbench. The "remove from group" function is wonderful. But it is quite cumbersom to have to switch between Arch and BIM to work with it. Especially since "Move to Group" is in the Arch workbench. It would be great if they can be moved to a single place under the RMB menu. And be made available in both BIM and Arch.

I created a bug for this a while back https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3907. I hope this can be picked up under the usability flag

Regards,

Bert
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

brjhaverkamp wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:09 pm ...

Regarding problem 2, this is solved via Regis advice to install the BIM workbench. The "remove from group" function is wonderful. But it is quite cumbersom to have to switch between Arch and BIM to work with it. Especially since "Move to Group" is in the Arch workbench. It would be great if they can be moved to a single place under the RMB menu. And be made available in both BIM and Arch.

I created a bug for this a while back https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3907. I hope this can be picked up under the usability flag
Did you just call the right mouse button (RMB), the left mouse button (LMB), twice?!

By the way, the "add to group" functionality is actually part of the Draft Workbench, that Arch imports: Draft AddToGroup.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... s.py#L6427

A "remove from group" function should probably be in Draft as well so it is available to Arch and BIM too.

I'm not entirely sure how the right-click context menu works, but these functions are not general, they are workbench dependent. Maybe there is a very basic set that is available to the entire core of FreeCAD, but most of the options in the menu depend on the current workbench.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hello Vocx,
Did you just call the right mouse button (RMB), the left mouse button (LMB), twice?!
Did I? I'm left handed and seem to mix them up occationally (to great frustration of my driving instructor long time ago..)
Anyways, I mean the right-click/RMB, when clicking on a item in the treeview:-)

And thanks for the clarification on the internal structure. But I am however only looking at this as a user. I see I have to switch workbench to do a clean up of my tree because the functionality is in 2 different benches.

Is this now actively developed? Would you recommend a bug report? Although I think I understood Yorik is not reading those very much. Is anyone else busy cleaning up usability issues in general?

Regards,

Bert
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

brjhaverkamp wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:21 am Did I? I'm left handed and seem to mix them up occationally (to great frustration of my driving instructor long time ago..)
Sorry, man... this made me laugh!
Is this now actively developed? Would you recommend a bug report? Although I think I understood Yorik is not reading those very much. Is anyone else busy cleaning up usability issues in general?
Yorik is a freaking wizard. He is super busy, and is working on improvements all over Arch, Draft, BIM, and merging different pull requests. It's not that he doesn't want to do it, it's just that sometimes he doesn't have time.

Nobody is looking into usability issues in general, but if you post your request to this forum chances are that he'll see it and will get to it as soon as he has time. He's been hacking FreeCAD the longest of any of us so he usually knows what needs to be changed in order to implement new functionality.

In particular, that function that you want, "remove from group", I don't know where it is implemented, but seems like it could be implemented in Draft, just like Draft AddToGroup. Maybe there is a reason it is not. Maybe just oversight.

-----------------

It seems to be BIM_Ungroup

Yorik, any reason it's in BIM and not in Draft?

Also, the first argument to QT_TRANSLATE_NOOP() should be BIM_Ungroup, no?

Code: Select all

def GetResources(self):

import Draft_rc
        return {'Pixmap'  : ":/icons/Draft_AddToGroup.svg",
                'MenuText': QT_TRANSLATE_NOOP("BIM_Ungroup", "Remove from group"),
                'ToolTip' : QT_TRANSLATE_NOOP("BIM_Ungroup", "Removes this object from its parent group")}
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Geoplace

Post by Geoplace »

vocx wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:01 am that function that you want, "remove from group",
Hi the "remove from group" command can be done when your are in Arch, Draft, BIM.

BIM workbench selected
-Secondary Clic on the element in the Tree.
-clic "Remove From group"

Arch, Draft workbench selected. There's is not a direct explicit option
  • Secondary Clic on the element in the Tree.
  • point over "Utilities"
  • clic sub-menu "Move to group..."
  • clic from the pop-up window "Ungroup" option.
With both you get the same results.

It's strange but in the wiki it is just documented the "Add to group" but not the "Move to group" option. In the software just appear the "Move to group" option.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There are actually several of those utilities to work with groups in the tree, that I experimented with a bit everywhere, that should be moved to "core" FreeCAD... That has been on my todo list for some time, but... :oops:

Basically:

- Allow to remove an object from any group ("ungroup"), because having to move an object all the way up to the document root is unpractical
- Allow to select the contents of a group (useful to bind to a keyboard shortcut)
- Reorder the contents of a group alphabetically
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

yorik wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:34 pm - Reorder the contents of a group alphabetically
Does this include manual reordering to some other user order as well? Would be great.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:54 pm Does this include manual reordering to some other user order as well? Would be great.
I'm fiddling with that ATM, but it is much less easy...