sketch (non XY) movement problem

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
asdaf

sketch (non XY) movement problem

Post by asdaf »

Hello,

I have a following problem.

1. I create sketch on [0,0] XZ plane (I need it on that plane),
2. I pad that sketch (here is the first problem: why the pad is done in Y- direction?)
3. I try to change position of pad. To do that I need to change position of sketch. Sketch "Placement" is not accessible, so I use "Attachment", and here it all falls apart. This is what happens when I try to move it 20 mm in Y+. Pad is moved 20mm in Z+, sketch is moved 20mm in Y+, but rotated 90deg in X.

This does not happen when sketch is created on XY. Please help / explain as I simply don't understand it.

regards,
asdaf
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (133.53 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Polish/Poland (pl_PL)
kisolre
Veteran

Re: sketch (non XY) movement problem

Post by kisolre »

Pad is along sketch normal (perpéndicular to sketch plane). Could you post that file? Looks really strange...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

With sketches not in XY plane it often needs manual recomputes of the whole document. You should give it a try.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

asdaf wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 pm 3. I try to change position of pad. To do that I need to change position of sketch. Sketch "Placement" is not accessible, so I use "Attachment", and here it all falls apart. This is what happens when I try to move it 20 mm in Y+. Pad is moved 20mm in Z+, sketch is moved 20mm in Y+, but rotated 90deg in X.

This does not happen when sketch is created on XY. Please help / explain as I simply don't understand it.
Attachment offset is defined within the local co-ordinate system of the sketch being attached ....not the co-ordinate system of the thing it is attached to ....and not the global co-ordinate system.

So "x" and "y" are the "x" and "y" of the sketch (what you see when you edit the sketch) and "z" is out of your screen into your face when looking at the sketch while it is being edited.

Once you understand that perhaps it will make sense.

regarding the other issues, as others said, without the file I don't know what is happening.
asdaf

Post by asdaf »

Dears,

Thank you for looking into it. File in attachment. This is really a basic pad from sketch. It is in a state just before I try to do the "move" operation.

@chrisb
Manual recompute - do you mean the icon with two arrows between "redo" and "context help"? After I do the movement that icon is not active.

@jmaustpc
"Attachment offset is defined within the local co-ordinate system of the sketch" - this means that when I want to change sketch's attachment (placement) and click "[...]" in the "attachment" line to go to the translation panel, XYZ letters the the right of the input windows (those describing axes) do not agree with that local C-O system. Because of that when I put 20 in Y (global), I actually put 20 in "something local" ("something" - because I don't know what local axis is managed by input window described as "Y".
Based on that attached file I would say that Y-global is Z-local, X-global is X-local and Z-global is Y-local (although in reverse)

I wonder if it won't be easier to make my object on XY and then rotate it to be aligned on XZ...

regards,
asdaf
Attachments
XZ sketch movement.FCStd
(7.37 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

asdaf wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 3:04 pm @chrisb
Manual recompute - do you mean the icon with two arrows between "redo" and "context help"? After I do the movement that icon is not active.
Before you can perform the recompute you have to mark the objects for recompute as if something has changed:
- Right mouse menu on the filename of the model
- select 'Mark to recompute', all objects are marked with white hook on blue ground
- now you can click the icon with the two arrows.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
asdaf

Post by asdaf »

Hello,

Okay, "manual recompute" puts sketch back on the pad object at least. But the pad is still remains moved in wrong axis: Z (global) instead of Y (global)

Is there something that can be done about that mess with local/global C-O systems? Or should I simply get over it and remember to replace local vs. global XYZ every time I need to move sketch that has been created on non-XY plane?

Is this considered a bug?
-
regards,
asdaf
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

asdaf wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 pm 1. I create sketch on [0,0] XZ plane (I need it on that plane),
2. I pad that sketch (here is the first problem: why the pad is done in Y- direction?)
Are you serious ? :?: In which direction do you expect a sketch mapped on XZ to pad ?
asdaf wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:41 pm Is there something that can be done about that mess with local/global C-O systems? Or should I simply get over it and remember to replace local vs. global XYZ every time I need to move sketch that has been created on non-XY plane?
Hmmm... As you may have noticed, FC is an open-source project. So feel free to code something that better match your needs and propose it as a PR. ;)
Is this considered a bug?
This is discussed from time to time. This has some logics inside as the X & Y axis are actually sticked to the ones that are used when you edit the sketch. But it could probably be discussed.
asdaf

Post by asdaf »

Hello,
Are you serious ? :?: In which direction do you expect a sketch mapped on XZ to pad ?
I expect the pad to be done in Y+ not Y- direction (unless I choose "reverse" option, but I did not). This was the issue I had.

Yes, I noticed FC is an open source projects developed by the community. I am aware of the limitations and appreciate very much that some people decided to dedicate their free time to work on it. I can do many things, but coding is not one of them. Sometimes there are workarounds and unless I ask I most probably won't know about them, right?
This has some logics inside as the X & Y axis are actually sticked to the ones that are used when you edit the sketch.
And I would not have a problem with it if they were properly described in the movement panel (I wrote about it few posts earlier), but they are not (just a statement of fact). I hope you know what I mean.
-
regards,
asdaf
Daniel Cocoliso

Post by Daniel Cocoliso »

Hello...

I have the same problem and I reported it on the spanish forum:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=37282

If you want, I'll translate it to English.

I try to recalculate it, but it doesn't work.

Thanks to all ;-)