Topic hijacked, I'm no longer interested in trying to maintain it

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Status of FreeCAD 0.18 Release

Post by jmaustpc »

vocx wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:40 pm PaulG wrote: ↑
03 May 2019, 07:51
Vocx, could you be more specific about which ppa and distribution you used to get this to work. I've tried ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-stable and ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily with xenial and trusty and the python 3 stuff is not found.

Please, please, please, avoid as much as possible the code names of the software (Trusty, Xenial, etc.). I know the name when the new distribution is released, but after 6 months I completely forget which imaginary animal was used by Ubuntu this time. Actually, after 10 years of using Ubuntu I don't even learn the names any more. For me it's just 16.04, 18.04, 20.04, etc. Using the code names was cute at the beginning, but really, who cares anymore?
I strongly agree. The Ubuntu number system is truly fantastic from an I.T. support point of view (year point month of release) the names are totally unintuitive, some might see then as "a little bit of fun" but I think most of us see the names as a really annoying, inconvenient silly thing. Whenever someon uses one I have to do an Internet search to work out what they are talking about, time wasting and frustrating. I have been using 18.04 for a year now and honestly I can't just now remember what its name is.

Honestly we should complain to Canonical/Ubuntu, if enough of us complain perhaps they will stop with the silly names and just stick to their excellent numbering system.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

vocx wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:40 pm If you are going to mention the names at least refer to them in parentheses like this
sgrogan wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 pm Trusty(14.04) is EOL
Xenial(16.04) is only PY2/QT4
Even for 18.04+ Kurt had to port some stuff from Debian to Ubuntu
I would mostly be happy with this, since I can never remember the names either. But how would you refer to Mint 18.1 Serena. It uses xenial on the ppa and cat /etc/*-release indicates UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial but nowhere is there any suggestion that it should be referred to as 16.04. (Googling it seems some earlier Mint versions did give some indication of the ubuntu version.) So when referring to the PPA in the repository software sources it seems to be the name rather than the version number that is important. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm often very confused and don't work on these details often.)

So, yes, this is all seems very ugly.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:21 am ...
Honestly we should complain to Canonical/Ubuntu, if enough of us complain perhaps they will stop with the silly names and just stick to their excellent numbering system.
I don't think the names should stop (it's still kinda fun... sigh) but rather experienced users should stop promoting the names and stick to version numbers.

When I see someone using the codename, I think (1) they are newbies, just getting into Ubuntu (maybe they use other distributions); (2) they won't stay for the long term; (3) maybe they are developers, and not really users. I feel developers target a particular release, so they are aware of the name in the short term but don't think about the long term. A real user doesn't care about that, the real user just needs to do real work.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

PaulG wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:39 pm ...
But how would you refer to Mint 18.1 Serena. It uses xenial on the ppa and cat /etc/*-release indicates UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial but nowhere is there any suggestion that it should be referred to as 16.04....
Well, that's kinda Mint's fault. They wanted to be "Cool Ubuntu", but don't have their own thing, they still rely on Ubuntu for everything. I would call Mint 18.1, well, Mint 18.1.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
M-Rick

Post by M-Rick »

Where is the link for 18.1 stable version for Mac OS?
The link is still broken.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Currently there are some issues with the build process or the Qt library, we couldn't yet figure it out. These issues cause some non repeatable crashes.

I would recommend to use 0.18.15310 as I have experienced that version as very stable.

If you need the most current stuff, I recommend to use the current 0.19.16540, and save often.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

And once again this topic has completely veered off course with some inane whining about Ubuntu code names.

This topic is supposed to be a GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT THE 0.18 RELEASE AT LARGE, FOR ALL PLATFORMS, not a discussion on whether to use code names or number to identify a very specific Linux distribution!!!

AND YES I AM SHOUTING!!! :evil:

I have half a mind to delete the content from the initial post and replace it with "carry on, nothing to see here"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jakob

Post by jakob »

I am working with a free beginners course for freecad and using 0.17 should I change to 0.18 ?
Then will 0.18 be the latest official?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

read post nummer 1 of this topic
NormandC
Veteran

Topic hijacked, I'm no longer interested in trying to maintain it

Post by NormandC »

Not anymore. I'm shutting down this topic. If you want to know why, read it in the first post. :evil: