Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Wrapping up)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pPodest

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Potential student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations)

Post by pPodest »

Hi all,

I have finished my project proposal tackling the integration of BCF support into the BIM workbench. You can find the proposal here. Also I have created a new topic BCF Support GSoC Proposal where it is linked, to enable discussion on it. Till the deadline I still want to make refinements. Any feedback from you is highly appreciated :).

This proposal I also already submitted to GSoC under the name "BCF Support in BIM WB - FreeCAD".

Cheers,
Patrick
sadeep

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Potential student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring organizations)

Post by sadeep »

I know it is a bit late to contact the mentors since the application period is almost over, but is there still a GSOC project in your organization that does not have a confirmed student which I might be able to try?

I am an engineering student coming from a strong algorithm background having represented (and winning some) the country in a lot of algorithm contests including the International Olympiad in Informatics and Asia-Pacific Olympiad.

Please let me know if there is still a project left. I will see if it matches my skill set, and if it does, will come up with a sufficient implementation as proof of concept before the application deadline (9th)
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

sadeep wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:36 pm I know it is a bit late to contact the mentors since the application period is almost over, but is there still a GSOC project in your organization that does not have a confirmed student which I might be able to try?
In general you could also make your own proposal, of course in some situations this could be a bit of a problem finding the mentors...

Some of the still open ideas from our list from this and past years (see first post in this topic)...
- https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/FreeCAD ... ntegration
- https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Swept-p ... oC_Project
- https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Integra ... s_renderer

And some that I would find interesting if someone would work on them :roll:
- research the possibilities to use Modelica with FreeCAD and do some basic implementation of it (probably with OpenModelica) https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32556
- research the possibilities for VR workflows in FreeCAD (ex HTC Vive), and do some basic implementation of it (there was already some work done on this a while back and by now most CAD packages have support for it).
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Weird the wiki has less points as https://github.com/opencax/GSoC/issues? ... FreeCAD%22

As i can see you have some interest in algoritms... Best is to domething with that.
Than comes sketcher, maybe part design, FEM in my mind.
Few years back we had a GSOC project with Elmer solver. And this is i think a long time todo list item of at least @Bernd (at least i remember so) that we should do the same with calculix... but is isn't added to the list. but bernd is mentioned in the mentor list ...
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

@all GSoC students,

Please upload your final proposal who haven't done yet as a deadline for submitting GSoC proposal is going to end (only few hours left). You can also re-upload the final pdf even after submission.
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The deadline has finished, we have several very good proposals for FreeCAD! I am not sure I'm permitted to give any detail here (probably not), so you'll all have to wait until May 6 to know!

Thanks to all of you who submitted a proposal and came here to discuss the matter with us. This last point is of big importance in GSOC.

To all mentors, now you can (and should!) access the platform at https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com , and start reviewing all the proposals marked with the "freecad" tag (you can read the others too!). Write your opinion below if you can and wish, and if you feel you would like to mentor a project, just press the "i want to mentor" button. There can be many mentors per project, so no problems in marking many. Also, we can discuss privately if you wish to mentor but would like to do it together with someone else, etc

Remember no information about the process can be given to students prior to the official Google announcement on May 6th. Patience, students! ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Student Proposal Deadline Reached)

Post by Kunda1 »

Changed the thread title accordingly
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Students Chosen by Google)

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Congratulations to the participants!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

:D