Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Wrapping up)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Students Chosen by Google)

Post by yorik »

Congratulations everybody!

We have four accepted GSOC project at FreeCAD, out of a total of 11 for the whole BRL-CAD group. Ours are:

1) Automate Reinforcement Process in FreeCAD by Suraj Dadral

This project is to automate Reinforcement process by using Rebar Addon in FreeCAD. The idea is to create UI on top of the current implementation to combine different types of Rebars in a single Dialog Box as per the user requirements. For example, combine Stirrups and Rebars (different types of rebars) in case of Beam Reinforcement.

Mentored by Amritpal and me. Specific thread at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35077

2) BCF Support in BIM WB - FreeCAD by Patrick Podest

Collaboration is ingrained into human nature, without it we, as a species, wouldn’t be able to build astonishing buildings like we have today. Fundamental to collaboration, however, is communication, which enables the coordination of big projects. To make the work on a project easier we use tools like FreeCAD. It offers possibilities to model objects, like buildings, but not exclusively, that shall soon be built. For that purpose FreeCAD supports BIM (Building Information Modeling). This project aims to integrate the BCF (BIM Collaboration Format), which is designed to communicate issues/topics with a particular model. These issues/topic can then be directly visualized in the design tool and don’t have to be searched for in the model, based on a description in a PDF file.

Mentored by me and HS Rai. Specific thread at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35465

3) FEM Workbench Testing by Markus Hovorka

Improve the quality and reliability of the FEM Workbench of FreeCAD by introducing a extensive and consistent testing approach and developing a test suite covering the whole FEM module.

Mentored by Bernd and HoWil. Specific link: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35428

4) FreeCAD Configuration Management Proposal by Zach

FreeCAD is a powerful tool with worldwide usage but suffers a shortage of developers. This proposal aims to encourage new developers to adopt FreeCAD development by improving their experience with the development environment.

Mentored by Kurt and chrisb. Specific thread at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35493

To all students and mentors: I suggest all of you make use of the specific threads as much as possible, for everything. You can make extra arrangements out of it too (skype, irc, whatever), but I encourage to keep a maximum of the discussion to the forum threads so everybody can follow and give feedback. Try to keep it as a diary, post everything there, ideas, questions, updates, ask for feedback, etc. This will be beneficial for everybody, and at the end will provide a nice diary to submit to google.

I also encourage everybody, students, mentors, and anybody else interested, to make use of this general GSOC thread as much as possible too, for anything that can benefit everybody: Important updates, general questions, etc. Everybody else who isn't officially a mentor, feel as you were a mentor too! Don't hesitate to give feedback, ideas, alert if you think something is wrong, etc. The more we all participate, the higher the quality of the result.

Good luck to everybody! Looking forward to an awesome GSOC season!
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

yorik wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 pm Mentored by Bernd and HoWil. I don't think there is a specific thread yet, @markus please create one ASAP!
Hi yorik, there is actually one in the FEM board: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35428. My plan was to create a new topic within this week to track the overall progress of my GSOC project. I'm going to post a link in here as soon as I created it :)
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Thanks! Sorry I didn't find it. I updated the post above. But feel free to open a new one if it's better to you.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

m42kus wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:19 pm
yorik wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 pm Mentored by Bernd and HoWil. I don't think there is a specific thread yet, @markus please create one ASAP!
Hi yorik, there is actually one in the FEM board: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35428. My plan was to create a new topic within this week to track the overall progress of my GSOC project. I'm going to post a link in here as soon as I created it :)
let's continue the one you started, if it fits for you Markus.
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

bernd wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:04 pm let's continue the one you started, if it fits for you Markus.
All right :)
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Congratulations to everybody! We have some really strong projects this year and I can't wait to see how they turn out.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Sudhanshu

Post by Sudhanshu »

Congratulations to all the selected projects.
Looks like the summer is going to be fun with such good projects on the table.
Suraj Dadral

Post by Suraj Dadral »

Hi @all community

I would like to thank all the community members for your support. This will going to be a huge learning experience for me.

And congrats to all other GSoC participants.

Cheers,
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Sudhanshu wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 pm Congratulations to all the selected projects.
Too bad your Felt integration project was not in, @Sudhanshu. I can ensure you your project was of no less quality than the others, and we indicated we wanted it too. Unfortunately we got a limited number of slots, and ultimately, Google decides...

I hope you stick around and want to develop it anyway! I think many people here are interested by this project.
Sudhanshu

Post by Sudhanshu »

yorik wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:32 pm
Sudhanshu wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:47 pm Congratulations to all the selected projects.
Too bad your Felt integration project was not in, @Sudhanshu. I can ensure you your project was of no less quality than the others, and we indicated we wanted it too. Unfortunately we got a limited number of slots, and ultimately, Google decides...

I hope you stick around and want to develop it anyway! I think many people here are interested by this project.
Yeah, I am willing to continue the project. Its a need for others and a learning experience for me.
GSoC would have just accelerated the project's pace but it will be completed anyway.