Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator And Panelizer macro

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hhassey

Re: Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator macro

Post by hhassey »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:10 pm Wow, awesome work!
Thanks! We have some pretty cool ideas already on what's next. but I really want to get the input from users to determine the roadmap.

PLEASE SEE PAGE 8 AT THE END on this thread to see what we are discussing!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Automatic Light Gauge Steel Frame Creator And Panelizer macro

Post by Kunda1 »

This is next level, right here!
Perhaps this should become a workbench in it's own right??
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

hhassey wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 pm ...

I am very excited to present the status of this to all you and hopefully get @yorik to put an eye on this as my goal is to get this software incorporated into FreeCAD arch module as standard functionality.

If you want the code incorporated into Arch you should clone the FreeCAD repository, neatly add your code into src/Mod/Arch, and then create a pull request. Then Yorik will be able to merge it more easily.

See how other users have done it. Furti developed the Arch Fence tool (wiki page), and it was merged into Arch within days: Arch Fence (forum thread).

However, according to your repository, your code is GPL3: https://gitlab.com/Oriond/FreeCAD-Steel_Frame.

Code included into FreeCAD should be LGPL 2 compatible. So you should re-license the code under LGPL 2; otherwise your tool can only be included as an external module. I mean, right now, your tool could already be included as an extension installable through the Addon Manager (see external workbenches). For that you should request it to be added to the FreeCAD-addons repository.
Last edited by vocx on Sun May 12, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

Thanks for the explanation, I will check everything out and hopefully make it compatible with the whole FreeCAD project.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This is AMAZING work Humberto! One of the most professional Arch/BIM tools we have in FreeCAD, certainly!

I would love to have this incorporated in Arch! It would be pretty easy I guess, basically placing your macros in the Arch folder, then create a FreeCAD Command for each of them (that can be in the same file), which is basically a class that contains a couple of infos such as tool name, icon... and an Activated() function that is executed when the button is pressed.

A couple of improvements that could be interesting too, in a next move...

- That the frame object would inherit ArchComponent.Component, so it gains all the IFC capabilities
- That the panels appear "swallowed" by the frame object in the tree. For that, a view provider must be created, and its claimChildren() implemented
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

hhassey wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:02 pm
I am very excited to present the status of this to all you and hopefully get @yorik to put an eye on this as my goal is to get this software incorporated into FreeCAD arch module as standard functionality.

I have created a small video showing the functionality as of today (not all functionality is shown but most is) and have made the repository Free software.

https://peertube.social/videos/watch/cb ... 0034c56703
Congrat! Finally it is completed! :)

I have not used peertude before, [Edit] I can't see the video, anything missing?
[Edit] Find it does not play in FireFox. Just try Chrome, and it works! What is missing in Firefox?
Screenshot from 2019-05-11 01-19-32.png
Screenshot from 2019-05-11 01-19-32.png (144.84 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
hhassey

Post by hhassey »

@paullee I believe the reason you can't play the video is because you must be using MacOS and they deliberately cut your freedom by not allowing you to play webm format, the reason, because it is a free format. I am aware of the issue, but all my videos are webm and not mp4 because that is another way to support freedom. So sorry for the inconvenience that apple has created on you.

Can you please try to play it with something outside the apple's i-cage ecosystem and report if there is still a problem?

P.S. I play it with GNU/Linux in firefox without any issues.

Humberto.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

No issues here on a mac using firefox.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Looks amazing, looking forward to try it!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

hhassey wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 6:50 pm ...but all my videos are webm and not mp4 because that is another way to support freedom....
What? Are you implying MP4 is not an open format? There's a lot of confusion, but MPEG-4 (both the container and the codec H.264) is an ISO standard. It's open and well supported in Linux.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.