node editor - pyflow

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: node editor - pyflow

Post by Joel_graff »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:26 pm
Joel_graff wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:11 pm
microelly2 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 7:29 pm "Der Spatz in der Hand ist besser als die Taube auf dem Dach" (German proverb:The sparrow in the hand is better than the dove on the roof).
Would love to know the origin / meaning of that one. lol
I'm guessing it has to do with eating them, sparrows are small and have almost no meat whereas doves are decent eating, so even though the dove on the roof would be better to eat, you've got a sparrow in your hand already ready to work with.
I wouldn't have thought of that.

The only related proverb I could think of was, "A bird in the hand is worth what it brings." :)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Just for reference, this is the other thread were a node editor is suggested.
looo wrote: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:38 am I don't think an extern libary for nodes is needed. The work for the Gui and the connections is less thn the creation of the nodes. So I think it is better to use Qt/PySide for the Gui, and make the logic with python. Here is a picture of some freecad interaction :D :
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

quick61 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:38 pm Think this would be nice to use with the Raytracing workbench for doing more complex renderings, instead of having to manually edit the POV-Ray scripts
Something like this was already attempted by Luke Parry a long time ago.

He proposed a new Render Project to define the material properties and appearance of the objects to render inside FreeCAD, and then use Luxrender to produce the final result.

However, that effort didn't really go further. The repository is here https://github.com/mrlukeparry/FreeCAD_ ... raytracing
Though it would take a little to build the libraries for the textures, materials, patterns and such. In the end though, we could end up with one of the most advanced POV-Ray modeling/rendering tools out there. Just a thought...
I'm not sure. I believe POV-Ray already has some GUIs to set up material properties and things like that. See POV-Ray Front End Programs.

The Material module of FreeCAD already defines material properties for many different substances. It could be extended with information specific to Blender's Principled BSDF shader, so if the FreeCAD file is opened in Blender it would automatically include sensible presets to render those materials.

This sounds to me like the best workflow. If the user would like to render a good scene, he or she shouldn't mess with text files in POV-Ray, just import the scene into Blender and use the node editor there; see Tutorial Render with Blender.

In Blender there is a plugin to import FreeCAD files, written by our very own Yorik; see Tutorial Render with Blender#Importing_plugin.

Also, there is apparently a new Render Workbench that can be installed from the Addon Manager, which could be extended to use Blender's renderers (EEVEE and Cyles). So, I don't think putting too much effort into POV-Ray is absolutely necessary, as the FreeCAD+Blender combination is probably better in every aspect.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Looks promising. I tested the application and noticed several things:
- Additional deps are needed: nine (similar to six), blinker, multipledispatch
- The gui looks nice. The visualization changes for different zoom levels.

I hope we see this coming to freecad.
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

phpBB [video]

The node editor as a Dockwindow
The property tab for nodes
A node to change some placement data of a FreeCAD object
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

Great Job !
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Woah, the future has arrived 8-)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Looks great :)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Amazing!! :)
bitacovir
Veteran