Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by yorik »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:17 am - Change to Draft workbench
->crash!
Can you try these one by one, with the start page open (don't switch to the Draft WB), in the python console, and see if any of them crashes?

Code: Select all

from pivy import coin
from PySide import QtCore,QtGui
import Draft
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 9:52 pm I noticed this as well, don't know what caused it to change?
Hi sgrogan, I also noticed that there is no file description for the 0.18 releases.

For the 0.19pre release there is at least this description.
FreeCAD development builds for Linux, MacOS, and Windows have a filename in the form
FreeCAD-<dev-version>-<revision>.extension (revision = github commit count number)
This omits important parts. My proposal to improve it is:

FreeCAD development builds for Linux, MacOS, and Windows have a filename in the form
FreeCAD-<dev-version>-<revision>-<operating system>-<bit rate>-<build system>-<Python version>-<Qt version>.<file-extension>
where revision is the GitHub commit count number, Py2 means Python 2.x, Qt4 means Qt 4.x, Conda is an open source package management system, LP is ??.
All files should fit into this scheme. You can also make "Conda" in the description as hyperlink to https://conda.io. As we state about "MacOS" this term should also be used in the filename instead of "OSX".

Currently there the different files have all their own scheme and this is confusing. What is for example "LP"? (I really don't know.) What is "VS"? Why appears "Linux" and "OSX" on the same place but "Win" does not? Do we really need to distinguish between different Visual studio versions?
So all unnecessary info should go and all files should have the same scheme.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 pm Currently there the different files have all their own scheme and this is confusing. What is for example "LP"? (I really don't know.) What is "VS"? Why appears "Linux" and "OSX" on the same place but "Win" does not? Do we really need to distinguish between different Visual studio versions?
So all unnecessary info should go and all files should have the same scheme.
Agreed. Kunda1 has been pushing this for some time.
The problem is that we don't have enough information, we don't have enough :oops:

The VS (visual studio) version is critical (at least the underlying VC version). Any advise we give on the forums, would change abruptly at VS2013/VS205+, for both VS and FreeCAD.
This is similar for the glib version for the AppImages.
I would imagine that the SDK version for OSX would be helpful.

I think we should try to use the 0.18.2 release to unify this. I'm flexible, @looo what's easiest for you?
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 pm The VS (visual studio) version is critical (at least the underlying VC version)
OK, then we should also put in the compiler to the file name.

Personal question: what is the "LP" in the filename?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:52 pm Personal question: what is the "LP" in the filename?
LP is LibPack. 11.x to 12.x means PY2/QT4/VS2013 > PT3/QT5/VS2015+.
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:04 pm LP is LibPack. 11.x to 12.x means PY2/QT4/VS2013 > PT3/QT5/VS2015+.
Thanks. So this info can go because we already have the info about PY/QT/VS. If LP is an alternative to Conda, it could stay but then at least the info 11.x or 12.x should go.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 pm Thanks. So this info can go because we already have the info about PY/QT/VS. If LP is an alternative to Conda, it could stay but then at least the info 11.x or 12.x should go.
I would say the opposite. The Win testers know QT4/5 etc. The LP_12.x has a newer version of Qt(5.12) than the Conda based builds(5.6), this offers information above what "About FreeCAD gives.

I get a lot of requests. I would be fine with only 1 official release. How to support everyone else?
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:24 pm The LP_12.x has a newer version of Qt(5.12) than the Conda based builds(5.6),
I get a lot of requests. I would be fine with only 1 official release. How to support everyone else?
That is why I proposed a file scheme that contains the info about Qt.

Concerning 1 official release for every OS, I propose for Windows a build with Python 2 and Qt 5.12 and MSVC 2015 because:
- Python 2 will be fully supported this year and I see in the FC commits still some fixes for Py3. Therefore we can switch to Py3 with a 0.18.y release any time later this year.
- Qt 5.12 is a long term support version and it was released half a year a go and after 3 point releases Qt 5.12.x seems stable enough.
- until Win 7 will be dropped next year we should still offer 32bit builds for Windows besides the 64bit builds
- I compile for other open source projects Qt programs using MSVC 2013/15/17 and cannot see problems with different MSVC versions. Thus a build using MSVC 2015 should be fine.(I still use 64bit Win 7 on my development PC and MSVC 2015 fully supports Win 7.)
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 11:52 pm Concerning 1 official release for every OS, I propose for Windows a build with Python 2 and Qt 5.12 and MSVC 2015 because:
This would lead to pospone all the remaining py3 debug on next FC release cycle, too late compared to py2 life cycle.
FC has switched already the default distro to py3 in Linux.
I would keep the official release as py3/qt5.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

yorik wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:21 pm Can you try these one by one, with the start page open (don't switch to the Draft WB), in the python console, and see if any of them crashes?

from pivy import coin
from PySide import QtCore,QtGui
import Draft
No crashes. Until now none of the crashes was reproducible, except the language change which doesn't bother me too much.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.