Freecad 0.18 on OSX 10.14.4 and Spacemouse - not recognised

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hajduk

Freecad 0.18 on OSX 10.14.4 and Spacemouse - not recognised

Post by hajduk »

Hi,

Until yesterday I had a perfectly functioning setup with my 3Dconnexion Spacemouse and Freecad 0.17.
So, yesterday afternoon I thought it would be nice to update Freecad to the current release and installed it. (the .dmg file)
Since then the Spacemouse does not work any more within Freecad and is not recognised there (shown in the preferences).

I just reinstalled the latest 0.17 release and without any modification, the 3Dconnexion mouse works again.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to fix this in 0.18?

Thank you for any tip!

By the way, 0.18 is quite sluggish on my system during startup and regularly freezes the dock and sometimes even the windowing system (no response by the mouse etc.)

Martin
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Freecad 0.18 on OSX 10.14.4 and Spacemouse - not recognised

Post by Kunda1 »

Thanks for you report. Can you attach you Help > About FreeCAD > Copy to clipboard info when asking for help. Especially while we're migrating to python3/Qt5
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
hajduk

Post by hajduk »

Dear Kunda,

of course, sorry:
I just started up the new version and it froze my dock for several seconds.
The system was roughly 2 seconds frozen, the dock slightly more.

This is the version where the Spacemouse is never recognised:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.1)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

The version where the Spacemouse still works is:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.10.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

Hi Hajduk,

I believe the reason is that the system they are compiling the Freecad binaries on now does not have the 3Dconnexion drivers installed.

Following Vectronic's instructions, I compiled a version myself with space mouse support, see link below. This seemed to work quite nicely, but may be a struggle if you are not familiar with the Terminal.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 43#p307643

Cheers

Brutha
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I am not sure if we can bundle the 3dconnexion stuff into the conda-forge packages. Doesn't this have any influence on the license?
Brutha

Post by Brutha »

looo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 am I am not sure if we can bundle the 3dconnexion stuff into the conda-forge packages. Doesn't this have any influence on the license?
I have no idea! I don't know what the situation has been up to now, I guess the OSX version has been compiled on a machine with those drivers for the last few years at least, since if I understand correctly that is the only way to support these devices.

It would be a real pity if it turned out that the 3dconnexion stuff can't be used with open source software, I find the space navigator makes a big difference to working in FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

All parts of the spacenav project are written and maintained by John Tsiombikas (nuclear@member.fsf.org), and released as free software.
The spacenavd driver is released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 3 (or any later version). This means that you can run it without any restrictions, for any purpose, you can modify it, and you can re-distribute it verbatim or with any modifications. However, if you release anything that contains this code or parts of it, you must release it under the terms of the GPL v3 (or at your option, any later version published by the free software foundation). For more details, see the full text of the license.

The libspnav library, is released under the terms of the "modified" (3-clause) BSD license. This means that you can use it without any restrictions, you can modify it, and re-distribute it verbatim or with any modifications, under any license. However, you must retain the copyright notices in any source files containing code from the library, and binary redistributions must include the copyright notice in any documentation or other acompanying materials. For more details, see the full text of the license.
source: http://spacenav.sourceforge.net/
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 am I am not sure if we can bundle the 3dconnexion stuff into the conda-forge packages. Doesn't this have any influence on the license?
Help > About FreeCAD > License tab, scroll to the bottom
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:49 pm The libspnav library, is released under the terms of the "modified" (3-clause) BSD license.
Then I guess we should add libspnav to conda-forge. Shouldn't be too much trouble for linux/osx. Not sure about windows.
Brutha wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:17 pm I find the space navigator makes a big difference to working in FreeCAD.
Really, until now I didn't know about it at all.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:07 pm Not sure about windows.
For FreeCAD at least the library isn't needed for Win. FreeCAD's support uses Windows native events.
"fight the good fight"