Ellipse in part workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Ellipse in part workbench

Post by falviani »

When I create an ellipse in the part workbench, why does it create 2 entries in the tree? And how do I add it to a body so I can work with it in the sketch workbench? Thanks in advance.
quick61
Veteran

Re: Ellipse in part workbench

Post by quick61 »

falviani wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:31 pm When I create an ellipse in the part workbench, why does it create 2 entries in the tree? And how do I add it to a body so I can work with it in the sketch workbench? Thanks in advance.
No idea why it would be creating 2 entries. Maybe your mouse is going bad and "double clicking" with a single tap?

Drag and drop to add it to the body, Or if you don't have one, select the ellipse in the tree view and then click body, either way, it is added as a base feature. That being said, whats wrong with the ellipse in Sketcher? Unless your using some old version that does not have an ellipse in Sketcher. what was it, like version 15 or so?

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I will have to look at the Part elsipse separately, because you will not need it here.

You mixed things up with body, sketcher and PartDesign.
- PartDesign workbench is used to create bodies.
- A body contains a single contigouus solid, made of a sequence of features
- Most features are based on a sketch
- Sketches are edited in Sketcher workbench

- Besides the sketch based features there are geometric primitives, like cube, cylinder, ... and an ellipsoid. That means you should create the ellipsoid directly in PartDesign workbench.

If you only want the geometry of an ellipse in Sketcher, there is an icon for conical sections: Image with a drop down menu to select different kinds of it.

In general, you should avoid to mix Part and PartDesign workbench, but if it is necessary you can move it with drag and drop into a body which will create a BaseFeature as some kind of a proxy inside of the body.

Edit: Mark was faster, which means it took at least 20 minutes to answer this request, included a telephone call from my mom.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
falviani

Post by falviani »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm quite new to FreeCAD (and CAD in general) and find it quite confusing - I apologize for the newbie questions. :oops:

I am taking a different approach thanks to you: create a body in sketcher, then add an ellipse from the conic-sections tool. That works fine, but raises new questions: (1) I can't figure out any way to determine what constraints tie solvers wants and (2) I can't figure out a straightforward way to just set the major and minor radius values.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have collected quite some information about sketcher: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30104. Hope this helps.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.