A complete packet with TechDraw

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dpettegrew

A complete packet with TechDraw

Post by dpettegrew »

I've been working FreeCAD more into some of my freelance work when I have some smaller projects. This is my most complete project with FreeCAD thus far. I've been spending a lot of time getting to know the TechDraw workbench and finding a good workflow for this type of work and documentation. I'm excited about development of techdraw in future releases. Here is a complete drafting package for a production of Cabaret which will run in July.

I modeled each individual unit I wanted to draw in the part design workbench using part and body contaiiners. Keeping the parts off to the side I used clones to arrange on stage for the plan and section. Partly because I found part containers did not seem to work well in arch sections, but also it's easier that way to later align views of the part in TD when often walls are arranged at angles other than 90* increments.

I will have to get accustomed in the future to dimensioning for ArchViews in the 3d space since it is not possible in TechDraw. A few of the page layouts needed some additional tweaking and cleaning up which I did with Inkscape.
01-cabaret.jpg
01-cabaret.jpg (166.92 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
02-cabaret.jpg
02-cabaret.jpg (80.8 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
03-cabaret.jpg
03-cabaret.jpg (155.61 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
04-cabaret.jpg
04-cabaret.jpg (263.24 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
05-cabaret.jpg
05-cabaret.jpg (229.42 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
dpettegrew

Re: A complete packet with TechDraw

Post by dpettegrew »

06-cabaret.jpg
06-cabaret.jpg (198.61 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
07-cabaret.jpg
07-cabaret.jpg (166.34 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
08-cabaret.jpg
08-cabaret.jpg (207.97 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
dpettegrew

Post by dpettegrew »

I have also been learning Blender and exported my FreeCAD model into Blender to create a rendering there. This is also my most complete Blender render. I look forward to honing a complete workflow between the two for design and visualization.
cabaret1small.jpg
cabaret1small.jpg (463.44 KiB) Viewed 3424 times
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Well done. It would be great to have pictures of the built stage.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
dpettegrew

Post by dpettegrew »

bitacovir wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:50 pm Well done. It would be great to have pictures of the built stage.
Thanks! I will definitely post back with some photos once it is built. :D
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing. I 2nd the notion of posting the end product pics. Cheers!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Amazing work!! Grand entrance of FreeCAD into the scenographic design world!!
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

dpettegrew wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 pm I have also been learning Blender and exported my FreeCAD model into Blender to create a rendering there. This is also my most complete Blender render. I look forward to honing a complete workflow between the two for design and visualization.
This is a tutorial that describes such workflow: Tutorial Render with Blender.

It is principally made for rendering mechanical parts. Perhaps there are some things that you'd recommend for your specific use case.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
dpettegrew

Post by dpettegrew »

vocx wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:13 pm This is a tutorial that describes such workflow: Tutorial Render with Blender.

It is principally made for rendering mechanical parts. Perhaps there are some things that you'd recommend for your specific use case.
I'd not seen this tutorial, thanks for that! It definitely clears up some of the concepts I was just figuring through the process with this project for handling materials and organizing my FreeCAD model for later work in Blender.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

dpettegrew wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 pm I'd not seen this tutorial, thanks for that! It definitely clears up some of the concepts I was just figuring through the process with this project for handling materials and organizing my FreeCAD model for later work in Blender.
One of the things that we as users could push for is using the same Python version in FreeCAD as is used in Blender. This would allow for more people trying Yorik's plugin, which you can find at the end of the tutorial. In this way using Blender and FreeCAD together would be much improved, I think.

I don't know if there is a particular reason for FreeCAD using Python 3.6 currently. It seems to me Blender wants to use the newest Python version available so they already compile against Python 3.7.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.