Selector toolbar

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Selector toolbar

Post by triplus »

When you change workbench. And after you have moved at least one toolbar in that workbench. That is when the persistent toolbar logic will take over for that workbench.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

In case you are reading this and you don't know what "persistent toolbar" is: it's another addon from @triplus that fixes some internal FreeCAD problem with toolbar persistencies, so, if you haven't installed it you need to do it ;)
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes that is correct. If you are for example (occasionally) using FreeCAD 0.16. You will need to install persistent toolbars module for FreeCAD 0.16 manually:

https://github.com/triplus/PersistentToolbars

Starting with FreeCAD 0.17 it is available by default. Manually installed persistent toolbars module for FreeCAD 0.16 won't clash with the FreeCAD 0.17 one. As it won't start when FreeCAD above version 0.16 is run. Note that the persistent toolbars functionality related toolbar settings are not shared between FreeCAD 0.16 and FreeCAD 0.17+. Therefore you need to set the toolbars up to your liking in both versions.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Interesting, I didn’t know it was merged with 0.17... then, why not to set its default to a useful toolbar layout? I really find the default one so messy.

In addition I would like to see merged Selector toolbar :D
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

pablogil wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:12 pm In case you are reading this and you don't know what "persistent toolbar" is: it's another addon from @triplus that fixes some internal FreeCAD problem with toolbar persistencies, so, if you haven't installed it you need to do it ;)
Done.

A few suggestions for the add-on manager dialog (apologies for getting a bit off-track):

1. Maybe make the menu item ghosted when you're in sketcher so the user knows it's there, just not available? It's almost trivial, but I spent three minutes looking for the darned thing before I realized I probably had to exit sketcher. Of course, I admit I'm not exactly the smartest cookie around... :)

2. Make the dialog's initial size a lot larger. By default, it's really too small to be useful, at least on my machine. I'd recommend setting it to be 2/3rd's or 3/4th's the height of the screen...?

Screenshot from 2018-04-07 07-53-20.png
Screenshot from 2018-04-07 07-53-20.png (27.61 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

3. Maybe find a way to provide a little extra user feedback when the toolbar is installed? I realize it's a bit tricky to do from a Python interface, but even some text output in the report view indicating the download was completed / successfully installed would help. A refresh of the list view that shows the add-on checked (maybe even a green check) would be a nice visual clue.

4. A final tohught on UI layouts in general: We have enough addons to create alternative UI's, and it's not terribly hard to do... but it's not intuitive, either. Why not define some good, useful alternate UI layouts that others already use (like one where the selector toolbar is default) and make it easy to switch among them? Blender does this with a drop down:
Screenshot from 2018-04-07 07-53-20.png
Screenshot from 2018-04-07 07-53-20.png (27.61 KiB) Viewed 2023 times

Maybe I've forgotten something or missed something, though...

EDIT: I have no idea why the first image is displayed twice. I couldn't change it.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-04-07 08-10-37.png
Screenshot from 2018-04-07 08-10-37.png (15.95 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

joel_graff wrote:
Best to make feature requests for the addon manager in the issue queue for https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons or else they'll get buried in this thread that is specifically for the 'Selector Toolbar'
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

@Joel_graff

I feel that best to share such feedback in appropriate thread. In general yes i agree things can improve.

As for the Blender. They are going in the direction where you have profiles and can set Blender up for different use cases. The issue they are starting to have is there is just too much functionality available to fit that all in a single application window. They have the same shortcuts issues and things like that. On how to apply sensible shortcuts to such big number of features. The problem with configuration profiles could i guess be if you have 100 users you end up having 100 profiles in the end. Therefore this ends up being customization option and not something that changes defaults.

FreeCAD with its workbench paradigm could i guess be a better option for them. With workbench approach you can have 100 developers developing 100 FreeCAD applications. The downside is user needs to explore different workbenches to get the job done. And that can lead to some complaints as a result. But what they are not realizing is they are actually using 100 FreeCAD applications in a rather straightforward fashion. And that is rather impressive in the end. ;)

@pablogil

We will see how thing will evolve in FreeCAD 0.18 development cycle. To me the main priority is to finish all the modules for FreeCAD i am working on. After it can be decided what makes the most sense.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Hi! Was this addon ever adapted to python 3? It has some wierd behavior in the current release. The menu doesn't seem to work and it stops functioning altogether when you move it with this error message:

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\usuario\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\SelectorToolbar\SelectorToolbar_Gui.py", line 97, in onOrientationChanged
    b.style().polish(b)
RuntimeError: Internal C++ object (PySide2.QtWidgets.QStyle) already deleted.

This is what I'm running:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at upstream/releases/FreeCAD-0-18)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Spanish/Paraguay (es_PY)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 am Hi! Was this addon ever adapted to python 3? It has some wierd behavior in the current release. The menu doesn't seem to work and it stops functioning altogether when you move it with this error message:
Thanks for reporting the issue. This is likely PySide2/Qt5 related issue. I removed the line altogether and therefore please update selector toolbar module and test again.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

triplus wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:46 pm ping
there is also a small issue with dark themes (i.e. Dark-blue)
theme-issue.png
theme-issue.png (83.04 KiB) Viewed 1661 times