Ticket #3981 - Missing possibilities to enter expressions

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Ticket #3981 - Missing possibilities to enter expressions

Post by chrisb »

There are several places in FreeCAD where I would expect the possibility to enter an expression. If there isn't a special reason why this should be so, then I would collect all of these places and create a ticket. I would guess to fix them one after another is easier than doing it intermittingly.

This is probably rather a 0.19 topic than 0.18, because there is no show stopper among them.
  • Placement panel: all input fields should have expressions like they have in the property panel.
  • PartDesign: additive and subtractive primitives, their individual values such as radius, height, width, length as well as pitch, yaw, roll
  • Part.Extrude; all numeric input fields.
  • Part.Revolve; all numeric input fields.
  • Part.Mirror; x, y, z
  • Part.Fillet; start and end radius. This might be difficult, as the values are somehow copied to a list.
  • Part.Chamfer; same situation as with fillets.
  • Part.Thickness.
Edit: Updated list:
chrisb wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:35 am
Mod Edit: Modified thread summary by adding appropriate ticket number
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Missing possibilities to enter expressions

Post by uwestoehr »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am
  • Placement panel: all input fields should have expressions like they have in the property panel.
  • PartDesign: additive and subtractive primitives, their individual values such as radius, height, width, length as well as pitch, yaw, roll
  • Part.Mirror; x, y, z
  • Part.Fillet; start and end radius. This might be difficult, as the values are somehow copied to a list.
  • Part.Thickness.
I also vote to add them. However in the first step the fillet and chamfer dialog should should be postponed (the other ones are straight forward).

I also stumbled over some missing expressions today: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36458
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

I agree, except for fillet and chamfer, it seems probably never useful and working right :D
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

To support an equation, there must be a direct relation between the value of an input field and a property of some object.
Placement panel: all input fields should have expressions like they have in the property panel.
Hard to do, as the placement dialog has some values that don't directly relate to properties. Placement dialog offers things like center of rotation, yaw-pitch-roll values and "apply incremental changes" checkbox, which break/don't have a direct relation to properties.

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am PartDesign: additive and subtractive primitives, their individual values such as radius, height, width, length as well as pitch, yaw, roll
Doable, except for roll-pitch-yaw. Roll-pitch-yaw is a little difficult beast, it may be possible to bind expressions to them, but I'm not sure.

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am Part.Extrude; all numeric input fields.
Part.Revolve; all numeric input fields.
Doable. I think...

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am Part.Thickness.
Already has one, doesn't it?

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am Part.Mirror; x, y, z
Part.Fillet; start and end radius. This might be difficult, as the values are somehow copied to a list.
Part.Chamfer; same situation as with fillets.
probably doable, but I'm not sure.

Please don't assume that I have just promised to add that myself :mrgreen:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:26 pm
chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am
I also stumbled over some missing expressions today: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36458
This is covered by bullet point two, or isn't it?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 pm This is covered by bullet point two, or isn't it?
My guess is that it is. ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am Updated list from first post, removed thickness and Placement, even X, Y, Z are not directly connected to properties, the depend on the rotation.
  • Part.Mirror; x, y, z
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

And here is the ticket: issue #3981.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:15 pm
chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:33 am PartDesign: additive and subtractive primitives, their individual values such as radius, height, width, length as well as pitch, yaw, roll
Doable, except for roll-pitch-yaw. Roll-pitch-yaw is a little difficult beast, it may be possible to bind expressions to them, but I'm not sure.
@DeepSOIC, just want to clearly understand something. AFAIK rotations are internally stored as quaternion (which is fine). And I see that expressions are supported in the Placement property of objects where rotation is expressed as Angle + Axis.
Why should it be more difficult to support expressions on Yaw/Pitch/Roll than on Angle+Axis ? Thx.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Ticket #3981 - Missing possibilities to enter expressions

Post by DeepSOIC »

openBrain wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 am Why should it be more difficult to support expressions on Yaw/Pitch/Roll than on Angle+Axis ? Thx.
Problem is, property editor displays AttachmentOffset's rotation as axis+angle. You can bind expressions there. If I just let bind them to euler angles, the expressions will not show up in property editor, and one will be able to bind other expressions there, creating a conflict. Apart from this "bug", I see nothing difficult about it.