Any videos in english on how to import step files

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
foxint

Re: Any videos in english on how to import step files

Post by foxint »

Guys – thank you.

Since I am not good at this, I can get myself confused.

• I could never open the lid to see the cut-outs
• I now notice this is the wrong file – but my CAD man has gone quiet.
• The Chinese manufacture quoted a price far TOO high
• I thought if I change the manufacture from CNC to Laser cutting and using the appropriate thickness of material it would be cheaper.

The new file Box-common-projection – I think this is great. I “should” be able to modify it and or re-create it in 2D. As I am an idiot, I think I will have to just make up a few files for each slice and then give it to the laser cutter in Sydney.

I will have a good look at the file after I get back from taking the girls to school

Thank you.

Dan
PS…any step-by-step learning videos in English…. that build on each other. From my googling, the introduction lead into a geometric meteoric warp move to 3-d…. then it loses me.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

foxint wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:57 pm • I could never open the lid to see the cut-outs
You just hide what you dont want to see (lid and velvt sheet - SOLID and SOLID003 in your file) by selecting it in the treeview and pressing "Space"
foxint wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:57 pm • I now notice this is the wrong file
Wrong in which way? In the file that I prepared above those dimensions are easily adjustable.
foxint wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:57 pm • I thought if I change the manufacture from CNC to Laser cutting
How will you close the bottom and make the cut for the cover latch, also all the roundings and chamfers? My two wooden pieces glued together aproach loooks much simpler to me.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Kisolre

Thank you and the guys for all the help. The questions are great. I am all alone in the Aussie bush and it is nice to have some intelligent feedback. Not complaining, as I like to work alone….but

I do/did not know how to remove bits. So, it is space bar…OK I will have to give that a go.

The file that my CAD man sent me was wrong – it had one too many cut outs in the body of the box. The long thin one on the side was supposed to be for a leather band. But the guy doing the buckle (in CAD) crashed and burned and he did nothing, so I will delete the band. So, I do not need that cut out….

“How will you close the bottom and make the cut out for the cover latch…. etc”

Good question: Originally the box was to be CNC’s from Acetyl and the top was aluminium. Now the Chinese factory is telling me this is expensive (far more than my target), so I am looking at some other material – bamboo ply (cheap in China – it should be).

Current plan is to laser cut everything from acetyl or aluminium (both these can be tapped) and use counter sunk screws. The top back slides under a 45-degree chamfered piece going from Left to Right and will be secured with the 2 thumb screws.

Well that is the plan….

Thank you. The comments and help have been great.

(I have attached a photo of the current box, watch and the screw drivers...)
Attachments
2016-12-18-1190-MS-9411-Blue-Blue-A-10-002.jpg
2016-12-18-1190-MS-9411-Blue-Blue-A-10-002.jpg (74.52 KiB) Viewed 684 times
foxint

Post by foxint »

Guys you are going to hate me

I have tried out the “space bar” to remove the layers…but I do not get the lower level with the cut out.

I know exactly (I think) know what I did wrong: I forgot a step in the import stp file procedures.

This is what I did, if someone has the time and can tell me what I have missed:

Open new file
Import

Then my mind goes blank…I know there is more, but I just cannot find it on the net.

Monday is one of those day: 3:15 pick up 1 girl go home, 4:15 later pick up another then 7:30 pick up #3 daughter.

I will have a go at modifying that easyw-fc sent. Thank you.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

SpaceToHide_ShowElements.gif
SpaceToHide_ShowElements.gif (712.49 KiB) Viewed 670 times
foxint

Post by foxint »

Thank you

Mine does not work that way. I re-imported the step file, but I think I missed a step as I have no cut outs.....

This is what I did, if someone has the time and can tell me what I have missed:

Open new file
Import

is there any more to the procedure??

Thank you. I will have to re-visit it tomorrow.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

This is your file from this post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 75#p309290 You obviously imported it Ok. Not sure what are you really asking. From your other post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 79#p301594 here is a video how to import that STP file:
phpBB [video]
foxint

Post by foxint »

Thank you for the video.

It was exactly what I needed. I had to change some of my preferences. But it worked....Great

But...there is always a but. I could not find a way of modifying or checking the sizes of the holes etc.....

I a faced with having to build it from scratch????

ahhhh
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

You can use the solids as BaseFeature in PartDesign for modifications. But I aldeady did most of the work for the main case here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 75#p309385
foxint

Post by foxint »

Guys all the help has been great. Thank you.

The sliced file was excellent, and I could modify it – with no success.

I am tried to do it myself, and this was less than good.

I even went back to the sliced file, but as I modified the file, the whole thing when bad. When I move the parts, they all fall apart, and it is hard to get them back together.

Then I imported the file to FreeCad, I but could not modify it.

I have started again.

I tried to export to pdf, but that also failed.

Perhaps I need a good CAD guy????