Selection of faces very slow in Path Workbench

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
daniel_cnc

Selection of faces very slow in Path Workbench

Post by daniel_cnc »

Hello,

I have a rather complex Project.

I have 4 Bodies and i have cloned them, so I can move them in one plane for cnc milling.

What I have detected is that selection of faces is very slow.
When I click on a face i have to wait seconds before I can select the next one. This only happens in Path workbench.
If i switch to Part for example selection is fast as expected.
Does Path add some calculation on select?

Mfg Daniel
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Selection of faces very slow in Path Workbench

Post by sliptonic »

daniel_cnc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:38 pm I have 4 Bodies and i have cloned them, so I can move them in one plane for cnc milling.
This isn't necessary. When you select the bodies during creation of the the Job, path makes a copy of them anyway. At the same time, you can use the job setup dialog to move the copies into cutting plane and position them. The copies are hidden when you exit the job setup dialog and the originals are reshown.
What I have detected is that selection of faces is very slow.
When I click on a face i have to wait seconds before I can select the next one. This only happens in Path workbench.
If i switch to Part for example selection is fast as expected.
Does Path add some calculation on select?
It might be that with your setup, you're job setup is now handling copies of copies. If you can share your model, it would be easier to diagnose. Also, whenever asking for help on the forum, it's good form to include your FreeCAD info (help->about and use the button to copy your details to clipboard so you can paste them here).
daniel_cnc

Post by daniel_cnc »

Hello sliptonic,

Thank you for your anwser.

Yes I forgot to include my freecad Version. I could not edit after I posted. :-)

Good too know that path creates copies. But Can I Add Multiple bodies to one Job?

I don't want to create Muliple Jobs that would take much more time to create.

I testet it with the latest 0.17 and 0.18 Version

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.1)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

I will attach the file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilub5r4170usb ... fcstd?dl=0

I hope you can access this Dropbox link

Mfg Daniel
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

Confirming that face selection is weirdly slow in this particular file, even after setting refine=true on the source objects (so the face count gets reduced drastically) in the latest 0.18

It also brings up an interesting problem: if you choose the top face for "profile faces" and select "process holes", the slot-like pockets get profiled all the way down; if you select the bottom faces, it looks mostly ok, but it also selects some round holes for profiling for some reason (with "process holes" enabled and "process circles" disabled); I guess edge profile would be the most flexible method, but it's incredibly tedious, so maybe a way to pick which "holes" to profile would be a good idea, or double-clicking an edge when selecting for edge profile could select all connected edges...

can you check if selecting faces is slow in this file? It has similar complexity and more faces to choose from: https://matrix.m0n5t3r.info/_matrix/med ... wZEPOqrRbi (and it's fast for me)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The View property "Deviation" is set to 0,01, a rather small value. That can make the display rather slow.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
daniel_cnc

Post by daniel_cnc »

@m0n5t3r Thank you for that hint found out how to activate the refine afterwards.

When I try to remove a mirror from my Multitransform I get a nasty crash. I will post that in another Thread.

@chrisb Where is that property?

OK I used Refine and got rid of my clones did not know That I can add multiple bodies to on Job must be new.

After all this tweaks it runs fast now.

Like it better like this.

The only thing is left now, is to select a bunch of holes to mill them :-)

Hope this will get better in the future.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

daniel_cnc wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:45 pm @chrisb Where is that property?
Preferences->Part Design->ShapeView
and in the View properties, which you see by switching the lower tab of the combo view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
daniel_cnc

Post by daniel_cnc »

Thank you, mine is 0.5. After i saved with 0.18.

But in my original file it was 0.1. But chaning that didn't made any difference in the orig file.

But I will keep that in mind for the future.
jpa

Post by jpa »

For anyone else stumbling upon this old thread like me, the problem is caused by the IsActive() function in PathCommands.py and happens when the face has a lot of vertices.

The problem has been fixed in FreeCad 0.19: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 2bf02ff4fa.
In FreeCad 0.18.4 you can patch it locally by editing /usr/share/freecad/Mod/Path/PathCommands.py to comment out the calculation on line 73:

Code: Select all

self.active = True # self.formsPartOfALoop(sel.Object, sel.SubObjects[0], sel.SubElementNames)