Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Wrapping up)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Students Chosen by Google)

Post by triplus »

Congratulations!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (4 GSoC Students preparing their Repos and Progress reporting)

Post by Kunda1 »

@yorik has very instructively created https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 90#p306354 with links to relevant discussion threads for each GSoC project. Students should have their repos set up and a place they report their progress visible/accessible as they prepare for the coding period..
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
hardeeprai

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Students Chosen by Google)

Post by hardeeprai »

Sudhanshu wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 amI am willing to continue the project. Its a need for others and a learning experience for me.
GSoC would have just accelerated the project's pace but it will be completed anyway.
May or may not be, By seeing your interaction and coding efforts, it might be possible that you finish it quickly.

When you are in the company of awesome community (like FreeCAD ;-) ), you feel motivated and energised to do the great things.

I will monitor your this project, review code, watch your activities to see FElt in action ASAP.

Wish you all the best
--
H.S.Rai
yorik
Founder

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (4 GSoC Students preparing their Repos and Progress reporting)

Post by yorik »

We are approaching the end of the bonding period. Next monday, May 27th, coding starts for real!

It seems to me all 4 projects are on tracks and everything seems well set for the next phase! I'd like to make a small round-up now. I added my own comments. If any of you mentors or students or anybody else sees something to add or correct, please comment!

Suraj - Rebar improvements

- Development log: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/User:Su ... SoC19/logs
- Everything looks good, many samples, commits, mockups done already
- Something required before may 27th? For me not, everything looks ok. Amritpal?

Patrick - BCF viewer

- Development log: https://podestplatz.github.io/FreeCAD-blog/
- Everything looks good, general overview of the BCF format + diagram done
- Something required before May 27th? A QtDesigner mockup, as proposed by Patrick. Anything else?

Zach - Config management

- Development log: https://zachgummow.github.io/
- A bit too little content on the blog for me to know :D zach, sgrogan, kkremitzki, anything to comment here?
- Something required before May 27th?

Markus - FEM testing

- No development log yet
- Everything looks ok, some work done already and first proposals out. Bernd, howil?
- Something required before May 27th? Create a dev log (as Sean from BRLCAD suggested, I'd consider doing the same as Suraj)
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Approaching the end of the bonding period. May 27th, coding starts for real)

Post by Kunda1 »

@yorik I've updated thread summary to reflect your post. ;)
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Approaching the end of the bonding period. May 27th, coding starts for real)

Post by yorik »

Guys, next week (june 24 to june 28) is the official first GSOC evaluation.

For all students, there is nothing really special required from you at this point, but I think it would be a good idea to wrap things up a bit now, separate what can be finished until monday and what will be left for next phase, and prepare a small report of what is working up to now and how it can be tested/checked. I think this will do good to all projects.

For all project mentors, please decide between the two mentors who of you is responsible for filling the google form for your project. The best thing is obviously to arrange a time to do it together, it takes around 10 minutes only, but it's safer to have one main responsible person.

I'll be out of home the next 4 days, but I'll keep an eye here.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Approaching next milestone (June 24-28) - First Official GSOC Evaluation)

Post by Kunda1 »

Updated thread title to reflect :point_up_2:
m42kus

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Approaching next milestone (June 24-28) - First Official GSOC Evaluation)

Post by m42kus »

Hi fellow participants,

I just wanted to remind you all to complete your first evaluation on https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/. I'm a student myself so maybe everyone already did it, I don't know - better safe than sorry :P

regards,
Markus
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
yorik
Founder

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Approaching second milestone (July 22-26) - Second Official GSOC Evaluation)

Post by yorik »

Hey everybody,

We are approaching the second evaluation (next week - July 22th to 26th)

I would like to ask all students to write a small wrap-up of their work up to now (no need to be big, just something that explains to everybody where we stand at this point), and mentors to be ready to fill the google form next week.

@Patrick and @Suraj I'm following their progresses closely already, everything going very well
@Zach and @Markus I'm only looking at what you guys post on the respective threads, I didn't look munch into details, if you guys could give some clues to what we can look at to get an idea of where we stand, that would be great!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Wrapping up!)

Post by Kunda1 »

Dear GSOC students,
We're at the end of another GSOC!! Congrats to everyone.

So since @yorik's AFK while he takes some time off, he requested me to stand-in to assist in reporting on the work you all did. So, please kindly send me a 3-4 paragraph summary of what you did during your GSOC experience. I'll compile it in to a report and publish it soon after.

Thank you in advance for responding promptly.

Cheers!

Edit: Mentors, please kindly give your student a heads up about this (in case they don't see this message for some reason).