[SOLVED] Making a hole in a non-flat surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Making a hole in a non-flat surface

Post by vocx »

tyszja wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:28 pm ...You would be more productive having a single hammer that you can rely on in every nail hitting work.
As I said, it's really not possible to have a single tool for a single job, because in CAD sometimes you have to mix different workflows to achieve a complex shape.

In particular it's bad to mix Part and PartDesign Workbench tools, as each is designed with a different philosophy in mind, and their tools aren't exactly compatible. They both internally use the OCCT geometrical kernel, but they expose a different interface to work with objects.

There is no solution but to gain experience with the system. Very often it's clear that the error is with the user and not the program.

This is a pattern of many threads:
Post 1. OP: I tried this and it doesn't work! It's a bug!

Post 2. Experienced user: you have to do it this way, and use this tool with that feature, and not this one.

Post 3. OP: thank you very much! That did it! I'm a complete noob, I've never drawn anything with a pencil, and I've never drawn anything in the computer; as a matter of fact, it's the first time I ever use a computer! Thanks!
It's obviously an exaggeration, but a lot of people get confused because they just don't have enough experience in many cases.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
tyszja

Re: Making a hole in a non-flat surface

Post by tyszja »

vocx wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 10:13 pm This is a pattern of many threads:
Post 1. OP: I tried this and it doesn't work! It's a bug!

Post 2. Experienced user: you have to do it this way, and use this tool with that feature, and not this one.

Post 3. OP: thank you very much! That did it! I'm a complete noob, I've never drawn anything with a pencil, and I've never drawn anything in the computer; as a matter of fact, it's the first time I ever use a computer! Thanks!
It's obviously an exaggeration, but a lot of people get confused because they just don't have enough experience in many cases.
Uhm... yeah, ok. That happens for sure, but I'm still not convinced that randomly-looking boolean failures or the rough user experience and inconsistencies I experienced Is due to me misusing it. This reminds me:
Apple responds to iPhone 4 reception issues: you're holding the phone the wrong way
. Its not the first time I use CAD or 3D software in general, and boolean operation is also a common one so I don't think I completely wrong here, but I agree with you that with more experience one can avoid getting caught by these.

Regards.
meme2704
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Making a hole in a non-flat surface

Post by meme2704 »

I love the methaphore hammers, if you have already visit the workshop of a real coachbuilder (the kind that really repair the bumps), the range of hammers that decorat his wall are not only for pretense, everyone have a function.
Personally, I would not be operated by a surgeon who would use a Swiss army knife :lol:
freman
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] Making a hole in a non-flat surface

Post by freman »

yes, I had a similar thought to the use of hammers. I have at least five differnt ones in my workshop and I don't do body repairs. Anyone who thinks you have one hammer which hits all nails has probably made very little use of a hammer.

Apart from his poor choice of metaphor ,I think he does have a valid point. This kind of situation is typically an indication of the lack of overall, top-down project design. This is very common in FOSS where everyone chips in a bit in an area which interests or concerns them and no one is in charge of cat-herding.

bits get bolted on, hacked or tweaked until the whole edifice gets rather wonky.

This is by no means restricted to FOSS, however, I know someone who works on complex Java projects for a group servicing major US banks. Their main product follows the same pattern. Years of grafting fixes onto a structure with no overall project design and management. They are now trying to bring in cheap Indian sub-contractors to replace European staff which has been whittled, not to the bone but to the bone marrow.

I do not need a degree from Trump University to see where this is going.