AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Post by Kunda1 »

catman wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:45 am I don't know how many AppImage downloads there are per day, but sometimes a user info might be more valuable than providing a fix a day earlier. Generally the website would benefit IMHO from a link to a list of known issues in the download section.
Not a bad idea
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:27 pm Triggering Addon Manager crashes FC

Code: Select all

fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/kbwbe/A2plus/': error setting certificate verify locations:
  CAfile: /home/lo/projects/FreeCAD-AppImage/conda/linux/AppDir/usr/ssl/cacert.pem
  CApath: none
'
This issue is now fixed for me (see https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppImage/pull/20).
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

looo wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:09 am
easyw-fc wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:34 pm Now the behavior:
1) install KiCADStepUpMod from Tools Addons
2) re-start FC and switch to KiCadStepUp addon
3) under the menu 'ksu Tools', 'Demo' click on the 'd-pack.kicad_mod' item.

This will build a demo inside FC blazing fast using the PPA version.
With the Appimage instead I get a very long delay creating the model (many seconds) and the CPU load goes up to 100%
What I also noticed is that if I move the mouse, the interface get immediately responsive and the building of the model just speeds up.
I can reproduce this in conda-env (old and new toolchain). So this shouldn't be related to the appimage-creation.

Btw.: @easyw-fc disabeling the animation should already solve this issue.
Hi @looo
I have found the culprit of the freezing issue on Conda build for Linux...
It is related to the following call:

Code: Select all

FreeCADGui.SendMsgToActiveView("ViewFit")
made during the execution of the loading macro...
This issue is only present on Conda Linux builds, I don't have issues on Win Conda builds.

I have solved creating a Thread to launch the Zoom Fit during the loading process...
BTW it is a strange issue that I didn't found before on Conda.

Hoping this feedback could help in removing this issue, that could be also related to the delay when starting/loading FreeCAD Appimage ...
(I get almost a double loading time for FC Appimage, compared to FC apt installed).
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:56 pm Hoping this feedback could help in removing this issue, that could be also related to the delay when starting/loading FreeCAD Appimage ...
(I get almost a double loading time for FC Appimage, compared to FC apt installed).
Thanks for the continous work on making the experience of the appimage better. Regarding the issue I can't do much about this as I have no idea what it belongs to. I think @triplus sayed once that he saw this also on a other qt5.6 based freecad (not with conda-packages). So my best idea is to get dependencies ready for qt5.9. This is currently halted by pside2 [1]. qt5.9 will also help osx to get a better experience, as one reported warning there is related to qt5.6 and should be solved in qt5.9.

[1] https://github.com/conda-forge/pyside2- ... ck/pull/32
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Can you check if the problem is still existing with the 0.19 appimage. This is now using qt5.6.3. If this helps we can use the same toolchain for 0.18.2. Not sure if I have forgotten any problem with the 0.19 bundles which 0.18 doesn't have (@triplus is there any reason why we use the old toolchain instead of the new for 0.18 or was it only the ugly visuals of 0.19?)
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

looo wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 8:41 pm ping
The 0.19 conda AppImage theme problem is caused by packing libgtk. I guess libgtk2/3 are on the AppImage/excludedeblist for exactly this reason. Simply delete usr/lib/libgtk* can solve the problem. You may also want to delete usr/lib/libgdk* to get rid of that pixbuf warning as well.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

realthunder wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:37 am
For me there are no theme issues with 0.19 using qt5.6.3. also no pixbuf warnings. Have you tried the latest available 0.19 appimage?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

looo wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 6:50 am
realthunder wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 2:37 am
For me there are no theme issues with 0.19 using qt5.6.3. also no pixbuf warnings. Have you tried the latest available 0.19 appimage?
I think the problem really depends on your host. I am using ubuntu 16.04. Qt is looking for GTK theme there, and it has broken theme with bundled libgtk because of missing modules. I identified the problem by comparing with 0.18.1 AppImage, which works fine on my system. And 0.18.1 image does not bundle libgtk or libgdk.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

realthunder wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:08 am I think the problem really depends on your host.
Is it possible for you to try your suggestion (extract appimage and remove mentioned libs)?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/05/ope ... ng-distros

I think we are running into a similar issue. We should stop trying to support as many distros via hacks... We should take the conda packages (Cross Linux / Cross platform) and if people tell us FreeCAD doesn't look very nice on distro xx we should answer: this is a problem of the distro xx. If the distro would support conda-packages this issue wouldn't exist. This is the only way towards a more consistent packaging system.

I think conda does a very good job trying to be a cross plattform package-manager. So in my eyes we should really aim at consistency in the long run. This won't happen via hacks, this will only be acchivable by working on the packages which will be available for the next release.

So take the appimages as current state and if you see potential for improvements go ahead and help with conda-packaging.

Eg:
https://github.com/conda-forge/staged-recipes/pull/8055
https://github.com/conda-forge/staged-recipes/pull/8277
https://github.com/conda-forge/pyside2- ... ck/pull/32