FreeCAD on the web

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD on the web

Post by kkremitzki »

FreeCAD mentioned in "Free software in the 3D Printing Community" talk at LibrePlanet 2019: https://media.libreplanet.org/u/librepl ... community/
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:16 pm FreeCAD mentioned in "Free software in the 3D Printing Community"
+1 for the link.
Is chris here on the forum?

I think he was fair. I wonder what he means about "unsplit"? Custom Menu's?
I did notice in the Q and A, that he dismissed OpenSCAD a little, not everyone at a library is going to script.
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:10 am I think he was fair. I wonder what he means about "unsplit"? Custom Menu's?
He was talking about how experienced users will make their own workbench sets, combining tools they want into custom workbenches and turning off the workbenches they never use. The fact that this can be done has been used as an argument against proposals for simplifying the default workbench situation in the past...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:17 am He was talking about how experienced users will make their own workbench sets, combining tools they want into custom workbenches and turning off the workbenches they never use. The fact that this can be done has been used as an argument against proposals for simplifying the default workbench situation in the past...
I see, but what is more Free, expose everything and allow the user to disable it, or present a per-determined workflow and make the user dig to enhance it? FreeCAD has grone to be more than a CAD package. As microelly2 says it's an engine.

We may need to think of alternative distributions of FreeCAD. I think it's been proven that we can't agree on an default FreeCAD WB.
But maybe we can agree on a set of "super" WB's that satisfy certain workflows. Arch, MCAD, Fem, Path. I know this has been discussed before, but maybe we can have something like WB customizations that work like style sheets. I think Addons manageer would handle most of this now.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 12:34 am I see, but what is more Free, expose everything and allow the user to disable it, or present a per-determined workflow and make the user dig to enhance it? FreeCAD has grone to be more than a CAD package. As microelly2 says it's an engine.
Reminds me of @ceremcem's thread https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36424 about a "Engineer UX Mode"
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

Here an interview in the SweetHome3D's blog where FreeCAD is mentioned as part of the workflow to design boats, along with SweetHome3D software.

http://www.sweethome3d.com/blog/2019/06 ... de_24.html
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

not very recent (FC 0.16), but still interesting:

Summer Student Programme 2016 @ CERN
The present report summarizes my work as part of the Summer Student Programme 2016 in the CERN IR-ECO-TSP department
The Document in pdf: Report.pdf
-
cern-student.png
cern-student.png (293.84 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
routalot

Post by routalot »

I occasionally take a look at the Model Engineer forum,although it isn't something I feel qualified to sign up for.There has been a fair bit of muttering over there about the changes to Draft Sight and the whole topic of truly free software and it got Freecad a mention.Now there is a basic tutorial thread growing at https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums ... ?th=142990 . I have no idea if anybody here is participating,but it doesn't do any harm to have a bit of missionary work going on to convert a few people and alert them to the possibilities that already exist.