dog-gone dog-bone.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: dog-gone dog-bone.

Post by freman »

Thanks, if no one else has these kind of issues you could be right. However, I have been using the 0.18 asm3 AppImage which does not depend up on the rest of my system libs. Yesterday I got the most recent Conda image of 0.18 and this quickly seemed just as unreliable, so I did not spend long testing.

I added nothing since building.

I don't know Russel or his mods. For 0.19 I did a git clone about a week ago and did a clean build. I have py3 on this system, if that is what most people are working with now maybe I should rebuild with that and drop 2.7.
Last edited by freman on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

OK, I have something half way there , as long as I don't touch the central hole again, I may be OK. It seems to loose the tool setting everytime I go in to change depth or anything. Once that happens, there's not way other than to delete the path and start again.

Spiral seems to leave the least junk and at least looks orderly, but it's like I need to add another path to clean out the bit it leaves in the middle. Also watching the simulation, the pattern the top face mill is doing is crazy ####.
Attachments
diamond-circ-sqr-2-OK.FCStd
(69.5 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hey freman,

Glad to see that zigzagoffset did some trick for you.

For the cleaning up edges, you can use profiling with adequate offset, or the Deburring op (drop down from the Engraving op). Which allows you to selectively process edges, pretty nifty.

Regarding stability, I do have some stability issues, but I recommend using the actual setup-sheets as suggested in sliptonic's awesome video tutorials. They will help stabilize your workflow and save your data!

Russ's work will not help much, he mostly works on activating the 4th axis, and if you're unhappy now, maybe don't open this can of worms :). But hey, if you want it...(also, it's still on python 2.7 look at my version, that's due to OpenCamLib being currently mostly 2.7, python 3 version of OCL is coming up soon).

I think besides the stability issues, your chief struggle is with intuitiveness (or lack thereof) of the PathWB in terms of "how do achieve that?". In my opinion there is currently almost too many options. And the spiral is still not the right way to go by the way. unstable as heck :)

That being said, your model proved to me that it's achievable once someone is used to it. I've had just as many issues contorting my brain using another CAM (professional, expensive as all) package. Learning curve and all that...
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

That being said, your model proved to me that it's achievable once someone is used to it. [/quote

Well there is always learning how to use a tool but when half of it is broken you have to learn which things work and which crash to break later.

If I set the central hole path to go down to -1 using my 0.18 asm3 , it will lock up every time and need killing. If I create these hole paths by selecting a face then hitting the icon it always gives problems. If I hit the icon , then go to Base Geometry THEN select the cylindrical face and Add button, it seems to work.

For the paths, it is surprising that there is not a simple circular path to make a round hole. All this semi-cylindrical zigzagging is daft and unlikely to give the cleanest result.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Sure there is. Select circle. Apply profile based on edges.

Depth breaking is something I'm still grappling with but haven't formally pointed out as bug because I'm not clear exactly on my problem.

And hemi circle? Theres the a tool to complete selection of a profile or of faces. Meaning if you select one face of a square (or half a cylinder) and click the tool, the whole loop is selected. It looks like a blue square with yellow and black markings around.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

OMG , what has happened to this now?

I was getting the paths straightened out and checked by watching the sim a couple of times. The second time on exit , it messed all the colours. I close and reopened: same. Restarted FreeCAD: same ; logged out and started new session : same.

it looks like it's really borked by file. Can you see why it is deep burgundy red ( is that what you see ) ?

It's like it's stuck at the end of the sim. Not in edit mode.

EDIT: found it. It had left a Cut Material object in the tree, when deleted it, it more or less went back to normal. Phew!
Attachments
diamond-circ-sqr-2-brown.FCStd
(264.22 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Sure there is. Select circle. Apply profile based on edges.

Yes but that is not a hole boring path. If the hole greater than twice to tool diam it will free up some waste material which is likely to snag the tool ! You'd need to cut out the centre first then do the profile from the edge circle.

I would expect something like a central plunge then increasing circular paths until o/d is reached. I guess that may get added later.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi RatonLaveur,
Select circle. Apply profile based on edges
i think it's not the right way to use a (not realy good) workaround. Something isn't OK with fremans installation (or part, but on my system his part works), I'm pretty sure, because "poket through all" works...

Hi freman,

what happens if you make a new part, only a cube with a hole, and try to create the path for the hole?
Last edited by herbk on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gruß Herbert
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Actually you're right.

And while there's no actual boring cycle.

You can pocket from inside out. Try adaptive clearing ;)
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

There's definitely a bug if you select the hole and create a PathPocket operation. There's an error in the console and the TC isn't assigned. If I don't select the face and create the operation empty, I can go in and assign the face and the path is generated. Apparently this is related to the new Path Extension functionality. Russ has a PR pending (2231) that helps with this.

Keep in mind if you're running the daily build or building from source that this is very much an active development branch. There's new stuff hitting often right now and things are likely to be broken.