Possible errors in FreeCAD CompileOnUnix Guide

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ifohancroft

Possible errors in FreeCAD CompileOnUnix Guide

Post by ifohancroft »

In the CompileOnUnix guide on the Wiki, in the section about getting the dependencies on Fedora, pivy is named as pivy, while in the Fedora repo it is python2-pivy and python3-pivy.
Also, packages are provided differently in the getting dependencies section and the build script. For example, again in the Fedora section, in the Getting the dependencies, there are pivy and and eigen3-devel, while in the build script, they are written as python-pivy and eigen3 (not eigen3-devel).
Also, there are packages listed in the Build Script that are missing in the Dependencies section, such as zlib-devel for example.
This is not a full list though. There may be more package name differences or missing packages from one or the other.
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Possible errors in FreeCAD CompileOnUnix Guide

Post by Kunda1 »

Thanks for the heads up. It's a challenge to keep that page up to date. Would you like wiki access to make said changes to it ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ifohancroft

Post by ifohancroft »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:35 pm Thanks for the heads up. It's a challenge to keep that page up to date. Would you like wiki access to make said changes to it ?
Most weclome! Yes, I'd love that. Unfortunately, for now, I'll be able to only fix the Fedora parts as currently this is the only distro I am using.

P.S. How should I handle the python packages such as pivy though? My understanding is that you can compile FreeCAD against either python2 or 3 and that it defaults to 2, however, when installing pivy in Fedora, you must specify python version. Since python 3 is recommended for recent FreeCAD versions should I just default to it?
I like making, breaking and modding stuff, using a soldering iron, code or both. https://ifohancroft.com
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

ifohancroft wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:10 am Most weclome! Yes, I'd love that. Unfortunately, for now, I'll be able to only fix the Fedora parts as currently this is the only distro I am using.
Great! Actually that is preferable (just Fedora) because thats the distro you're using. Just make sure to only edit that part of the wiki page (each section has an edit button). Maybe also give a heads up to the Fedora packager(s) that's you've done so? Per repology it looks like @hobbes1069 is the maintainer and on the FC forums 8-) We can ping him to see what he recommends as well, hopefully not too intrusive?
ifohancroft wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:10 am P.S. How should I handle the python packages such as pivy though? My understanding is that you can compile FreeCAD against either python2 or 3 and that it defaults to 2, however, when installing pivy in Fedora, you must specify python version. Since python 3 is recommended for recent FreeCAD versions should I just default to it?
In regards to pivy, IMHO just offer Python3 instructions because that's where this supertanker is heading. There are external workbenches in FC that are only py3 compliant and not backward compatible.

Edit: @ifohancroft just PM me your email and preferred login name and we'll get you an account.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs