dog-gone dog-bone.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: dog-gone dog-bone.

Post by freman »

- Contour cut anything out of the stock
Well if FreeCAD provides the first tool on the pallet to explicitly do a base contour it seems "simple and easy " to use it. If I know it's buggy I can chose to avoid it, like the pocket tool which has be be handled with great care to avoid an irrecoverable mess which needs deleting.

I like your paths, they are clear and symmetric. That is just a case of spending time to learn the tool. At the moment I'm considering whether that is time worth investing or using something more finished, since I need to finish the machine, not get involved in the development of the software at the same time.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

herbk wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am I also don't use the countour tool to create the gcode i post some posts before, because it dos not work. One time the computer hangs and had to be restartet.
This makes no sense at all. Contour, Profile from Edges, and Profile from Faces, share the exact same implementation code. The only difference is the GUI and the way the selection is stored and turned into a border.

Contour is mostly just a convenience function because profiling the entire shape is such a common action.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I would also be curious as to why he had to reboot the computer because of a GUI prog. I have had 0.18 lock up completely but the WM was able to shut it down. I'm still a little curious as to how it manages to screw up my colours so that task bar XFE and terminal emulators are unreadable. I suspect that is a bug in the nouveau NVidia driver used on Fedora.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi sliptonic,
sliptonic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:50 pm
herbk wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:53 am I also don't use the countour tool to create the gcode i post some posts before, because it dos not work. One time the computer hangs and had to be restartet.
This makes no sense at all. Contour, Profile from Edges, and Profile from Faces, share the exact same implementation code. The only difference is the GUI and the way the selection is stored and turned into a border.

Contour is mostly just a convenience function because profiling the entire shape is such a common action.
Hm... I just can say that it happend.... May be it's a prob of my installation, OpenSuse 15.1 is very jung and if have some other probs to.
It happend at use of FC 0.18 from the OpenSuse Repo, i don't try the same with 0.19 AppImage. - I try today eavening to reproduce the behavior...
Gruß Herbert
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi sliptonic,
sliptonic wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:50 pm ping
Here a new test with fremans part, i try to get the pathes like i would do if i want to mill out the part.

First the center hole: select wall of hole, use Poket OP, - works like expected
Countersinc hole: select bottom of hole, use Poket OP, - works like expected
Surface near uper box: select the top faces, use Pocket OP - works like expected
Surface near zylinder: select the top faces, use Pocket OP - works like expected

For removing remaining material near the corners i use countur ops next

Select upper edges of upper box, use Contour by edges OP, - pre / automatic selection of depht sets wrong values
Select upper face of upper box, use Contour by facees OP, - pre / automatic selection of depht sets wrong values
Sitting the right dephts manuel works

Same behavior at creating the path around the cyllinder.

Next step: selecting upper face, use MillFace OP, - works like expected.

Last step: use Contour OP, pre / automatic selection of depht sets wrong values, after setting the true values for dephts and clicking Apply or OK, FC freases, if i wait long, the whole system freezes.

Behavior at

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.Unknown
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.5
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

If i do the same at

OS: openSUSE Leap 15.1 (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/plasma5)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16822 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 243aebf2dfbfe192b5bbd067020a5318a0fa8d0d
Python version: 3.7.1
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

the pre / automatic selection of depht at Contour OPs works, but puts in a critical value for the final depht. Clicking Apply or OK changes the depht values to a different but not to the part fitting value. (the upper level of the part is at 0, all other levels are -x values)

Trying to create a Contour path results also in a freezing of FC.
Gruß Herbert
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks for doing a controlled test.
if i wait long, the whole system freezes.
It is unlikely that it freezes the Linux OS. At worst the X windows GUI. If you press cntl-alt-F2 or F3 you should get a new login console. Log in and kill FreeCAD ( ps ax to get the process ID , then kill -9 <PID> ) . I have not used Suse since it was Suse Linux in 2003 when they got bought out by Novell and signed a "non-agression" treaty with MS , but usually you can kill X with cntl-alt-bkspc or cntl-alt-F12 . That will usually bounce back to the session login screen. Check your distro for information.

You should be able to kill a rogue process in a few seconds, without needed to reboot. That is just the Windoze answer to everything.

Code: Select all

First the center hole: select wall of hole, use Poket OP, - works like expected
Perhaps you could say what you actually did since we do not know what you expected. In reference to the bug I noted : are you selecting a face before clicking the icon. If I select a face then click icon, the Base Geometry is empty. If I continue I create a broken path. It would be good to have your experience on Suse to compare to.

Also I reported making a change to the Tool Controller ( eg change cutting speed ) and then editing a pocket path showed that it had lost the TC and it was impossible to select a new tool. Thus the path was irremediably broken. Have you tried that on Suse?
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi freman,

you are right, it freezes only the x window system. I didn't think about that, because such freezes i don't have for a very long time.
freman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 pm
First the center hole: select wall of hole, use Poket OP, - works like expected[/code]
Perhaps you could say what you actually did since we do not know what you expected.
What i'm doing: selecting the wall of the hole throug all and click at the icon of the Pocket OP
wall.jpg
wall.jpg (34 KiB) Viewed 707 times

and what i'm expecting is, that the preseted values for heights are at a save level and for the depths at a to the part matching level (in this case start depht at -2 and final depht at -6)
In reference to the bug I noted : are you selecting a face before clicking the icon. If I select a face then click icon, the Base Geometry is empty. If I continue I create a broken path. It would be good to have your experience on Suse to compare to.
No, i did not select a face, because i know that Pocket only works if the wall or the bottom (if there one is) of the hole is selected.
Also I reported making a change to the Tool Controller ( eg change cutting speed ) and then editing a pocket path showed that it had lost the TC and it was impossible to select a new tool. Thus the path was irremediably broken. Have you tried that on Suse?
That i did not try. Always making things step by step... ;) ;)
Gruß Herbert
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

thanks for the clarification Herbert.
No, i did not select a face, because i know that Pocket only works if the wall or the bottom (if there one is) of the hole is selected.
OK there is a little confusion of terminology. By face I was referring to any surface , plane or cylindrical , as opposed to selecting an edge ( curved or linear ).

My issue is that when I select a face, as you did and then click the icon, it fails to add that surface to the Base Geometry. This must be a regression since I am running more recent FreeCAD.

BTW, not a niggle but you seem to be constantly writing depht in stead of depth. You may like to correct that.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

One more to this "freezing":

Like sayd above: I rekreated fremans part (same dimensions, different is only the way i made it (Part WB instead PD) and the placement is 0 and above)

Here i can use Contour OP without any problem.
contour_herbk.jpg
contour_herbk.jpg (113 KiB) Viewed 692 times
The not matching presetings at Contour Ops are remaining...

BTW, not a niggle but you seem to be constantly writing depht in stead of depth. You may like to correct that.
Thx, il try to remember...
Attachments
herbk_diamond-circ-sqr.FCStd
(56.34 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Gruß Herbert
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Have made some progress on isolating the problem with Contour.
Markus traced it to the getEnvelope() call in PathUtils where it calls Path.Area.makeSections() and dies in the C++

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/brad/.FreeCAD/Macro/testarea.FCMacro", line 17, in <module>
    area.makeSections(mode=0,project=True, heights=[2.0, 1.0 ,0.0, -1.0])
<class 'Base.FreeCADError'>: Unknown C++ exception

I cobbled together a macro that will duplicated the bug without any Path involvement. Open the attached file and then run the macro.
If I change the actual makeSections call and make project=False, the error doesn't happen.
IIRC, project=True is part of figuring out the silhouette of the part. In this case, I suspect it's getting confused by the those internal lines and tangent lines all being coincident with the perimeter. As a test, I shrank the middle circle and top square just a bit and contour started working.

realthunder wrote: Ping. Any ideas?

ba = App.getDocument("diamond_circ_sqr_2_brown").getObject("Clone").Shape
params = {'Tolerance': 1e-07, 'FitArcs': True, 'Simplify': False, 'CleanDistance': 0.0, 
        'Accuracy': 0.01, 'Unit': 1.0, 'MinArcPoints': 4, 'MaxArcPoints': 100, 
        'ClipperScale': 10000000.0, 'Fill': 0, 'Coplanar': 2, 'Reorient': True, 
        'Outline': False, 'Explode': False, 'OpenMode': 0, 'Deflection': 0.01, 
        'SubjectFill': 0, 'ClipFill': 0, 'Offset': 3.5, 'ExtraPass': 0, 'Stepover': 0.0, 
        'LastStepover': 0.0, 'JoinType': 0, 'EndType': 0, 'MiterLimit': 2.0, 
        'RoundPrecision': 0.0, 'PocketMode': 0, 'ToolRadius': 1.0, 'PocketExtraOffset': 0.0, 
        'PocketStepover': 0.0, 'PocketLastStepover': 0.0, 'FromCenter': False, 'Angle': 45.0, 
        'AngleShift': 0.0, 'Shift': 0.0, 'Thicken': False, 'SectionCount': -1, 'Stepdown': 1.0, 
        'SectionOffset': 0.0, 'SectionTolerance': 1e-06, 'SectionMode': 2, 'Project': False}
area = Path.Area()
import PathScripts.PathUtils as PU
area.setPlane(PU.makeWorkplane(ba))
area.setParams(**params)
area.add(ba)
area.makeSections(mode=0,project=True, heights=[2.0, 1.0 ,0.0, -1.0])
Attachments
diamond-circ-sqr-2-brown.FCStd
(41.91 KiB) Downloaded 22 times