Great news for you all: 4th-axis has arrived to the Path Profile Faces op - just not committed to FC/master. We need some testing.
Because the PathProfileFaces op relies on the PathAreaOp script, like the PathPocketShape op, you will need to install BOTH the PathAreaOp and PathProfileFaces scripts. I will update the PathAreaOp script over at Path Pocket Shape: 4th-axis Integration.
PathProfileFaces.py is attached below.
PathAreaOp.py is at the topic linked above.
Don't get dizzy with all these rotations!
- There is an "Inverse Angle" property. Chances are high that you will have to toggle this to get correct paths for some of your faces!
- You must set "Enable Rotation" to other than 'Off' in order to profile faces perpendicularly that are not normal to Z-axis.
- This is a testing version. Bugs may exist.
- This feature does not handle complex rotations: those involving X and Y simultaneously.
- Backward compatibility beyond 0.19.16502, or thereabouts, is not guaranteed.
- Thank you for your feedback and testing.
- Actual UI integration of 4th-axis rotational settings is in the works... Or shall I say, in my 4th_axis GH branch...
- Select the face(s) for the operation as normal
- Click on the Path Profile Faces icon to start the operation
- Change your settings as desired
- Click OK to run the operation
- In the properties list for the new operation, change the "Enable Rotation" setting as needed for the face(s)
- Recompute the operation
- Adjust start/final depths as needed. Final depth is coded to NOT go beyond the selected face used for the profile.
- OPTIONAL: Toggle the "Inverse Angle" property if the path approach appears off a little bit and recompute the operation.
- OPTIONAL: Toggle the "Reverse Direction" property if the path appears to be off by 180 degrees.
UPDATE: 2019-06-11 Updated PathProfileFaces.py script attached to version 2f-testing. Simplified code related to 4th-axis. Required PathAreaOp script is updated at link above. Fixed model repositioning issue. Same version as PR #2231.
UPDATE: 2019-06-13 Updated PathProfileFaces.py script attached to version 2g-testing. Made some fixes pointed out by the involved and active @RatonLaveur. Additional cleaning of code and other feature tweaks.