Auto detect un-constrained/dimensioned line feature off behaviour

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
R-INYURU

Auto detect un-constrained/dimensioned line feature off behaviour

Post by R-INYURU »

I saw that in FreeCAD 0.18 there is a feature to help constraint your sketch by clicking on the number of the degree of freedom, I believe it help everyone.

My issue is when I click on it propose me an opposite of the degree of freedom (instead of proposing vertical line it propose horizontal line and vice versa).
Screenshot from 2019-06-05 20-32-23.png
Screenshot from 2019-06-05 20-32-23.png (15.36 KiB) Viewed 554 times
For example on the above image the highlighted (green) line is the proposed line but you can see (I guess) that the vertical line is the on needs to be assigned measurement.

Is this how its suppose to happen or its a bug?

My FreeCAD version:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.1)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Trying to learn more about FreeCAD, any idea I will appreciate.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Auto detect un-constrained/dimensioned line feature off behaviour

Post by openBrain »

I just tested with a simple rectangle and it behaves as you expect (ie. the highlighted line is the one without dimension).
May you provide your FCStd file ?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

As I understand it it shows one element that can be moved (the horizontal edge) and one place that if constrained will fix that (the left vertex). Since applying vertical distance to any of the vertical lines will constraint the sketch this is only a suggestion. You try to move that vertex, see what moves and decide how to constraint it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The solver prposes just one possibility where you can add a constraint which reduces the degrees of freedom. That might not be intuitive or by other means the best choice. In your case you have to answer the question: "Can I move any part of the highlighted element", and here the answer is yes, you can move the whole element vertically.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
R-INYURU

Post by R-INYURU »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:27 pm In your case you have to answer the question: "Can I move any part of the highlighted element"
kisolre wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:21 pm As I understand it it shows one element that can be moved (the horizontal edge) and one place that if constrained will fix that (the left vertex).
Thank you guys I never thought about that, and I tried it and it helps finding the part needs to be constrained.
Trying to learn more about FreeCAD, any idea I will appreciate.