Shape from Lines in Sketcher?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Woodside

Shape from Lines in Sketcher?

Post by Woodside »

Is there a tool to automatically convert a set of lines into a closed shape?
E.g. a single line would just make a long rectangle with perimeter an equal distance away from the line.
I want to create some shapes by simply expanding from a path by a specified distance, and it's awfully time consuming to set up all those constraints manually.
Woodside

Re: Shape from Lines in Sketcher?

Post by Woodside »

This is an example of what I'm doing manually:

https://pasteboard.co/Ii5Kxt8.png

And I feel like there should be a better way.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

So you want a 2D offset. That's currently not possible in Sketcher, but Abdullah talked about it being somewhere on his list.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Woodside wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 am This is an example of what I'm doing manually:

https://pasteboard.co/Ii5Kxt8.png

And I feel like there should be a better way.
Hello Woodside, a few of things...

First, you can attach your images and files to your post which is much better than a hosting service as one never knows how long those services will be in operation, and if they go away, the image is gone and no one will be able to look back on it and see what was discussed. We try to keep the hosting services in reserve for very large files.

Another thing, in your image, I notice that you have a number of what we call zero constraints. This is not a good way to constrain a sketch, with a dimension of 0.0 units. Those 0.0 distance constraints can always be replaced with a geometrical constraint.

To simplify things a bit, you can make the outside in one sketch, then pocket the holes with another sketch, or break it down with a series of simpler sketches.

In the attached example, you can see I have made the same basic shape with 2 triangles in the first sketch, and a single rectangle in a second sketch. Much simpler to constrain fully, no 0.0 distance constraints, and the part is done. Fast and easy. ;)

simplerway.FCStd
(18.68 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
I have a solution, borrowed from our friends Arch: you draw the skit and you use the wall tool.
I did it in V.16, I do not know why, I can not do it with V.19 :mrgreen:
Attachments
mur.FCStd
(13.84 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
mur.PNG
mur.PNG (4.83 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
Woodside

Post by Woodside »

quick61,

Sorry about that. I went ahead and attached the image to this post just in case.

I think what meme2704 suggested with wall is most appropriate for what I want. Thanks!
Attachments
BIXKbP6D.png
BIXKbP6D.png (42.73 KiB) Viewed 1023 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Works here in 0.19_pre... though meme2704's file open with lot of errors reported

Code: Select all

Upgrading Wall Role property to IfcType
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/paullee/Downloads/FreeCAD_0.19-16790-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64/squashfs-root/usr/Mod/Arch/ArchWall.py", line 567, in onDocumentRestored
    ArchComponent.Component.onDocumentRestored(self,obj)
  File "/home/paullee/Downloads/FreeCAD_0.19-16790-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64/squashfs-root/usr/Mod/Arch/ArchComponent.py", line 200, in onDocumentRestored
    Component.setProperties(self,obj)
  File "/home/paullee/Downloads/FreeCAD_0.19-16790-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64/squashfs-root/usr/Mod/Arch/ArchComponent.py", line 151, in setProperties
    ArchIFC.setProperties(obj)
  File "/home/paullee/Downloads/FreeCAD_0.19-16790-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64/squashfs-root/usr/Mod/Arch/ArchIFC.py", line 28, in setProperties
    migrateDeprecatedAttributes(obj)
  File "/home/paullee/Downloads/FreeCAD_0.19-16790-Linux-Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64/squashfs-root/usr/Mod/Arch/ArchIFC.py", line 169, in migrateDeprecatedAttributes
    r = obj.IfcRole
<class 'AssertionError'>: The enum is empty

yorik wrote: ping
Maybe you can have a look when available.

Indeed this case is just exactly what 'Arch Generator' is conceiving to do right ? - a simple '2d offset' for this case