Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Artis

Re: Cabinet furniture design tools workbench

Post by Artis »

iogui wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 am The resulting cabinet should be like that...
There could be a button that appears when you hover over a joint like this and it lets you toggle the joint type!

Some inspiration for the workflow here: https://youtu.be/FWskGKAi-wk?t=87
iogui

Post by iogui »

Artis wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 am There could be a button that appears when you hover over a joint like this and it lets you toggle the joint type!

Let's just do first things first, ok? To have tools that are able to automatically build a joint would be really nice, and I hope we get there one day but we have more basic ground to cover before thinking about this.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

Artis wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 am
iogui wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:28 am The resulting cabinet should be like that...
There could be a button that appears when you hover over a joint like this and it lets you toggle the joint type!

This is a good example of what we can do in FreeCAD Furniture workbench.

We don't need to reinvent the wheel.

TopSolid is a good software but over expensive and over-complicated to use.
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

iogui wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:15 pm
Let's just do first things first, ok? To have tools that are able to automatically build a joint would be really nice, and I hope we get there one day but we have more basic ground to cover before thinking about this.
What's your vision? What tools do you think we can implement first?

We will need to think to details and also to the "big picture" to make the things to work properly.

I promised to publish more details about my vision but unfortunately I do have some healthy problems which I do need to address first.
iogui

Post by iogui »

zohozer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:36 am What's your vision? What tools do you think we can implement first?
I think we should implement first the basics as I've already said in this post.
zohozer wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:36 am I promised to publish more details about my vision but unfortunately I do have some healthy problems which I do need to address first.
Take care of your health first, and when you're better come to help us.
Be the change you want to see in the world. - Mahatma Gandhi
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

We need to start somehow this project.

I used before TopSolid and IMOS to create cabinetry furniture. They are great but we can do it better!

First we need to see what kind of tools and what work-flow we can implement.

Looking at how others are doing the things will be a good start.

Like IMOS: https://twitter.com/in3DSoftware , which basically is a plugin for AutoCAD!

imos CAD CAM - 2 minute challenge

Curved custom bookcase

After that we need to make some sketches of the tools we will need.
Artis

Post by Artis »

FYI there is a new player in the field, check out https://www.joinercad.com/ – these guys previousy worked on Bomizer plugin for SketchUp and then went on to develop Woodwork for Inventor. It seems that now they are focusing on Fusion 360, now in beta. Their workbench, if we can call it that, is fairly simple but powerful. It is mainly focused on working with materials instead of advanced assembly functions.
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

Artis wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:20 pm Their workbench, if we can call it that, is fairly simple but powerful. It is mainly focused on working with materials instead of advanced assembly functions.
Yes, a nice approach for a good work-flow. The Fusion360 it is more accessible than other PRO level software's like TopSolid or SolidWorks with SWood, so a good start to study something we can adapt to FreeCAD.
kamichal

Post by kamichal »

Hi Guys! I'm python (and C/C++) developer. I would like to join this project.
Do you have some code implemented already? Some repository? I would suggest creating one on gitlab if there is none yet. I suggest gitlab, because it's free, code pieces can be reviewed, commented before delivering. Features and issues can be discussed. Tasks can be dispatched using "issues" and "board".
Cheers!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kamichal wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:17 pm I would suggest creating one on gitlab if there is none yet. I suggest gitlab, because it's free, code pieces can be reviewed, commented before delivering. Features and issues can be discussed. Tasks can be dispatched using "issues" and "board".
Just thinking in advance here, once this workbench gets off the ground (which will be exciting) there needs to be some thought put in to this request b cause most likely we want to make this WB available via the FreeCAD-addons repo.
We'd have to improve the functionality of the Addon Manager to work with gitlab. Or perhaps there could be a mirror of said gitlab repo on GitHub that would then interact with the Add-on Manager.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs