install multiple version of a workbench

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

install multiple version of a workbench

Post by bernd »

What is the best way to install multiple versions of a workbench? The problem is all directories are added to Path. Thus there are all modules twice. Something is needed to say from which directory to import.

bernd
chrisb
Veteran

Re: install multiple version of a workbench

Post by chrisb »

I think used to have in the pre-0.17 era the manually installed workbenches in the macro directory. You can use different config files and configure different macro directories.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I just tested it and it works. You need a Mod directory in the Macro directory, below that you place your workbenches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I don't know which import style you use and there are some differences regarding Py2/Py3. But regardless of all that in the end you likely won't be able to use the same import statement for both modules. One will for example need to have an additional suffix, such as NameDev.py or name_dev.py. This therefore isn't all that much FreeCAD related, this is Python related.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

In python virtual envs are the way to test different versions of the same packages.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

thanks for all the answers