0.17 & Mac Mojave total crash

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Re: 0.17 & Mac Mojave total crash

Post by pablogil »

looo wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:55 am
pablogil wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:25 am Just as confirmation: the freeze bug in Mojave is not fixed, doesn't it?
Is it the same for 0.18.1 and latest 0.19? Maybe you can test.
Sadly it's still the same...
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
hajduk

Post by hajduk »

leonardshelby wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 pm For the freezing on MacOS Mojave I have found a hack that seems to work for others as well: start freecad inside terminal.

To do so open a new terminal window (cmd-space, type terminal, enter). then type:

/Applications/FreeCAD.app/Contents/MacOS/FreeCAD
Thank you very much for this excellent tip!
I am using FreeCad 0.17 on my macbook pro with Mojave installed and freezing happened during startup and any opening of file dialogue (opening or saving). It would stall OS X finder and dock completely for several seconds.

When starting through terminal, these problems disappear alltogether.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

hajduk wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:19 am When starting through terminal, these problems disappear alltogether.
Can you please retest with a current 0.19 version and report back?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
hajduk

Post by hajduk »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:59 am
hajduk wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:19 am When starting through terminal, these problems disappear alltogether.
Can you please retest with a current 0.19 version and report back?
I will try.
As new version cut out 3DConnexion devices, my interest in these version is close to zero, but I will try.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks anyway for testing. The calling mechanism has been changed and I hope that this problem is solved. And so I just liek to see it validated.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
hajduk

Post by hajduk »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 pm Thanks anyway for testing. The calling mechanism has been changed and I hope that this problem is solved. And so I just liek to see it validated.
Chrisb,

I just downloaded today the latest 0.19pre build and this is what happens:
The Icon bounces a lot more and it takes more time than with the 0.17 build.
During that time, there is a short freeze, a lot shorter than the 0.17.
BUT: then it crashes.
So, I have not been able to successfully start 0.19pre on my computer.
Further attempts to start the program are shorter but with the same result: crash.

Can I do anything for you to give more detailed / useful feedback?
leonardshelby

Post by leonardshelby »

I have just tried it: FreeCAD still freezes MacOS, but only for a few seconds. :) It used to freeze the system for about a minute. Also, when I open a file I will get a "beachball" cursor. It is not as bad as a system freeze, but it shouldn't happen (it's the OS feedback of an unresponsive app. After a while the OS would ask to force quit the app).

Another info that will be important for the upcoming MacOS 10.15: the binaries are not signed. For now (up until 10.14), the user can still run them by setting the security settings low, doing a right-click to start FreeCAD and then accepting a security dialog. I believe this won't be possible with 10.15.

Update: It still freezes for about a minute on startup. I don't know why it only froze for a few seconds on first startup.

About info:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17107 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 0635822415ad2f4f906d0ac7fa2e858921e05c96
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Germany (en_DE)
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Hi,

I just would like to add that this is happening since last October when macOS updated to Mojave, it's near a year and it's not solved. I, of course, don't want to add pressure to developers but I would like to point out that it's a really important issue because it makes FreeCAD almost unusable, and a big reason to uninstall it for new users... we may be loosing mac users because the current 0.18 or dev 0.19 binaries are unsigned and with this annoing freezing bug...

I will continue using it (as well as following my regional educational courses) but it may be marked as an important task to solve :cry:

What do you think?
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

pablogil wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:58 pm What do you think?
I can't disagree with anything you said.
The problem is we have no mac users that are developers right now.
When macOS updated to Mojave the Travis-CI builds that used Homebrew broke and we don't have anyone with the knowledge to fix it.
@looo has been providing the .dmg's packaged from his Conda work, realthunder has been providing some builds for his Assembly3 work, triplus has helped with automating looo's work on Travis. But all these people are Linux users.

I think what would be good is if some mac users could install Miniconda and try the FreeCAD builds in that environment.
Also if any mac users are able to compile themselves we could use a volunteer to try to package said builds.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Until now we used qt5.6 for the conda-dmg. But also qt5.9 not fully supports by mojaven. At least this is what some comments say here: https://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/11/08/qt-m ... 14-mojave/ .
As updating qt to a newer version is always a lot of work (especially pyside2) this is not something I would like to do on my own. Conda-forge will move packages to qt5.12 at some point, but I guess this is not happening very soon.
So if qt5.12 is really the only way to get a good experience on mojaven, it's maybe better to have a look at brew-builds and help getting them updated to qt5.12.

Regarding signing of dmg's:
I have no mac developer id and I can't do that.
Also all scripts to create the freecad-bundle and compile the different packages are available online [1], [2]. The bundles are created on ci's and you can see the logs. Is it really necessary to sign these bundles?

[1] https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... osx_dev.sh
[2] https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_Conda

my conclusion from this:
If you care about open-source-software don't buy a new apple. Conda seems to have problems with mojaven too: https://github.com/conda/conda/issues/8 ... -491591483