file and directory philosophy

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Erich Schulz

file and directory philosophy

Post by Erich Schulz »

sorry this maybe a bit naive as I have only just kinda figured out part-design.

I've installed A2+ and I get the impression I am to lay out my project as one a part per file?

Which just seemed a bit odd given the FreeCAD files seem to be able to accommodate multiple parts... So I was naively thinking my entire assembly should be able to fit, along with a few parts and maybe a spreadsheet or master sketch would live in a single file.

So I guess this is a matter of style, so I'm just wondering if the "one part per file" style is fairly standard?

If so I guess I'll be able to put my master parameters into their own file in a sketch or spreadsheet?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: file and directory philosophy

Post by chrisb »

You can reference a spreadsheet from different files even without using any assembly workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Erich Schulz wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:17 pm I've installed A2+ and I get the impression I am to lay out my project as one a part per file?
I'm not really familiar with A2+. But I think it can be used with all parts modeled in one project file.

The one that truly can be used this way is realthunder's Assembly3.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Erich,
Erich Schulz wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:17 pm I've installed A2+ and I get the impression I am to lay out my project as one a part per file?
A2+ links (imports) to a file if you import it to your "asm file". And you are right, it should only contend one part.
At first it looks a little odd, but if you work with parts which you want to use in several assemblys. For bigger projects you can import asm files which contends already assemblyd parts as "sub assemblys".

Since a while i use for bigger projects consistently the "one part per file" rule and i'm happy with it, because i find the single parts much faster as before.
Gruß Herbert
catman

Post by catman »

herbk wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:54 pm Since a while i use for bigger projects consistently the "one part per file" rule and i'm happy with it, because i find the single parts much faster as before.
Fully agree. Also its great to (re)use all these STEP files from the web. Copy them to your project folder, select the A2plus add button and there they are. You will find the most used button will be the 'external update' (its called differently, can't remember just now).

There is also a way to work with placeholders and swap in parts later. In the forum there is an impressive project with a whole house made like that in A2+. Didn't save a bookmark, unfortunately. Haven't got my head around how it worked, though
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

Here is the link of that house: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34101

BR
Walter
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

roerich_64 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:31 pm Here is the link of that house: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34101
roerich_64 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:12 am The BIM an LOD technics helpes to handle it.
How do you manage the LOD ? (Level Of Detail)

In OpenSceneGraph the LOD is managed by the viewer, but I don't find it in FreeCAD. Did you add some extra magic or is there a hidden feature ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

Zolko wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 am In OpenSceneGraph the LOD is managed by the viewer, but I don't find it in FreeCAD. Did you add some extra magic or is there a hidden feature ?
Hi Zolko,
please don't think so complicated... ;-)
Please follow my tutorial...
With A2+ there are no extras to handle huge Data...
It is very easy to handle them...
From the littlest screw to the hole world... ;-)

Walter
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

roerich_64 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:59 pm
Zolko wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:27 am In OpenSceneGraph the LOD is managed by the viewer, but I don't find it in FreeCAD. Did you add some extra magic or is there a hidden feature ?
Hi Zolko,
please don't think so complicated... ;-)
Please follow my tutorial...
I tried but I don't understand: Now you can switch the LOD (Level of Detail)

How do you go from LOD 1 to LOD 2 ? I understand that you include in the assembly a simplified model, and it's possible to switch between the real (full) model and the simplified one. But how ? How do you trigger one or the other ? And how do you trigger it from the assembly ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

puh,
i live in the mittle of europe... but the I-Net here is very slow...
to give an answer, Zolko, i will speak with my employer tomorrow to need there the I-Net
Is it ok for you?

Regards
Walter