How to leave small gaps in cutting paths?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: How to leave small gaps in cutting paths?

Post by TheMarkster »

leonardshelby wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:36 pm I'm running grbl 1.1f on an arduino, so I have set the Processor to grbl in FreeCADs job settings. If that is the postprocessor you are referring to?
I inadvertently based my changes on some older code. I didn't think there would be any recent changes to the postprocessors. Here is a revised version based on the newest source:
grbl_post.py
(18.51 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Let me know if it works for you or what, if any, changes need to be made. If it looks like it's working okay, I'll submit it as a pull request.
leonardshelby

Post by leonardshelby »

Hey, thanks a lot for hacking that -noZ option. I'll try it. For my current 'workflow hack', to get holding tags for lasercutting, I have to use the Z changes as a source for "find and replace all" in a text editor.

I am placing the holding tags with some odd Z number, 90deg. Then I'll search and replace these lines with a way faster feed. This way, the laser quickly 'jumps' and creates the gap/holding tag. Then I will also "search/replace all" any Z movements by hand to fix the "drilldown" delay.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 12.37.52.png
Screenshot 2019-06-24 at 12.37.52.png (437.61 KiB) Viewed 562 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

leonardshelby wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:32 pm Hey, thanks a lot for hacking that -noZ option. I'll try it. For my current 'workflow hack', to get holding tags for lasercutting, I have to use the Z changes as a source for "find and replace all" in a text editor.

I am placing the holding tags with some odd Z number, 90deg. Then I'll search and replace these lines with a way faster feed. This way, the laser quickly 'jumps' and creates the gap/holding tag. Then I will also "search/replace all" any Z movements by hand to fix the "drilldown" delay.
If it's not exactly what you need, attach a before and after gcode file, smaller and simpler the better so I can see exactly what changes you made. Might need to have a .txt extension for the board to accept the files.
leonardshelby

Post by leonardshelby »

Thanks for your help!
Here's a simple 10mm square to be lasercut with holding tags on each edge.

square_freecad.txt is what i get out of freecad using grbl postprocessor.
square_laser.txt is how I would modify that file to make it work on a lasercutter.

The holding tags are too big in this case because I forgot to create a tool with a small diameter. But I think you'll get the idea?

Edit: A proper implementation would probably best be "laser" as a selectable tool. And then other options (speed/feedrate instead of height/angle/...) for the holding tags.
Attachments
square_laser.txt
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
square_freecad.txt
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Attach the .FCStd file, too. That way I could run the modified postprocessor on it and compare its output to your manually edited file.
leonardshelby

Post by leonardshelby »

Sorry for answering so late, and thank you for your efforts! I am quite busy and have been trying to get this working :/ I have already deleted the .FCStd file. The problem should probably not be 'hacked' in a modified postprocessor anyway.. there are many settings and things that would still output bad gcode..just ditching Z in the files is not enough. E.g. there are still 'drilldown' movements that lead to the laser cutting a hole. FreeCAD would really need a laser option :/ I have been trying for days to get a working gcode file, but you'll get division by zero errors when trying to remove any Z-safe/tool/stepdown/.. heights, strange tool movements and orders with no way to change them and CAM simulation/visualization does not work for tiny diameters as lasercuts would be.

That said, the tags feature could/would be working for lasers as well. But it would need different settings (tool movement speed up in % + tag width would be enough).