g2core CAM

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Smiteberg

g2core CAM

Post by Smiteberg »

Anyone using G2Core to controll their CNC and FreeCad as their CAM solution?

If so, what post processor in Path workbench is compatible? Tried Grbl, but code stopped shortly after the start. No topics found on g2core when using search
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: g2core CAM

Post by sliptonic »

First I've heard of it. Looks like a TinyG port. I'd start with the linuxcnc post processor and adapt as necessary.
Smiteberg

Post by Smiteberg »

sliptonic wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:37 pm First I've heard of it. Looks like a TinyG port. I'd start with the linuxcnc post processor and adapt as necessary.
Thanks sliptonic.
Not sure why it hasn't taken off. Might be the 32bit arduino is scary.
The advatages are enormous compared to GRBL for instance.

9 axis motion (XYZABC+UVW).
Note - UVW is only in the edge branch for now.
Jerk controlled motion for acceleration planning (3rd order motion planning)
Status displays ('?' character)
XON/XOFF and RTS/CTS protocol over USB serial
RESTful interface using JSON

Not to mention the stable 200khz pulserate, all on a cheap arduino due.

Side comment
Your videos really helped me start up with Freecad. Thanks Sliptonic
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Smiteberg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:05 pm Anyone using G2Core to controll their CNC and FreeCad as their CAM solution?

If so, what post processor in Path workbench is compatible? Tried Grbl, but code stopped shortly after the start. No topics found on g2core when using search
Sliding off topic a bit here, but was wondering what gcode sender are you using for 5/6/more axis control?

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
Smiteberg

Post by Smiteberg »

quick61 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 pm Sliding off topic a bit here, but was wondering what gcode sender are you using for 5/6/more axis control?

Mark
Pretty confident cncjs or ugs will suffice. Although you wouldn't be able to jog more then 3 axis. The other axis would be controlled with console, macro or with a ready gcode file. Although I've not tested that. I'll let you know when I do.
They also recommend Goko and chilipeppr in adition to cncjs and ugs on the g2core wiki

Edit
Found this https://github.com/winder/Universal-G-C ... ssues/1068
Apperantly UGS is also able to visualize 6 axis xyzabc
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Smiteberg wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:05 pm Anyone using G2Core to controll their CNC and FreeCad as their CAM solution?
Is G2Core an open source project? If so where is its website or where is it hosted? I just did a search and did not find it, maybe that is why no one uses it, because they can't find it and don't know it exist?

I recently wrote a program for an Arduino Uno to control a single stepper motor driven rotary table without an encoder or any other feed back mechanism, other than the engraved physical scale. Sort of like a semi automatic, it asked questions over the Arduino serial terminal, then calculates the number and length of pulses required to drive position and speed. It also kept track of position of a software home and on start asked for hardware postion to be entered (as manually read from the rotary table) and then tracked hardware home as well, so you could visually confirm that the rotation was correct. It was just a rough little program to work with my mate's specific rotary table, but it worked perfectly within its limitations, e.g. it did not have any speed ramping mechanism for the stepper motor.

Jim
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 am
Is G2Core an open source project? If so where is its website or where is it hosted? I just did a search and did not find it, maybe that is why no one uses it, because they can't find it and don't know it exist?

I recently wrote a program for an Arduino Uno to control a single stepper motor driven rotary table without an encoder or any other feed back mechanism, other than the engraved physical scale. Sort of like a semi automatic, it asked questions over the Arduino serial terminal, then calculates the number and length of pulses required to drive position and speed. It also kept track of position of a software home and on start asked for hardware postion to be entered (as manually read from the rotary table) and then tracked hardware home as well, so you could visually confirm that the rotation was correct. It was just a rough little program to work with my mate's specific rotary table, but it worked perfectly within its limitations, e.g. it did not have any speed ramping mechanism for the stepper motor.

Jim
Hey Jim,
All I did was type G2core into DuckDuckGo and the 3rd link was to - https://github.com/synthetos/g2 with the first being some add and the second one to the wiki - https://github.com/synthetos/g2/wiki/What-is-g2core.
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
Smiteberg

Post by Smiteberg »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:03 am

Jim

Yes it's open souce. Here's a link to their license page. https://github.com/synthetos/g2/blob/edge/LICENSE

G2core licensing is based on GPLv2 with the [BeRTOS extension](http://www.bertos.org/discover/license) to enable using component files without invoking GPL copyleft. To this end, all files in the project are licensed under GPLv2. Those files that are considered "components" carry the BeRTOS exception, that allows their use without opening source code that they come in contact with.

Most of the info is in the link, this is just a copy.

Here's another link. Some projects where g2core is in use
https://github.com/synthetos/g2/wiki/g2core-in-use

But you're right about it not being used enough. It's very little on youtube about it. If that's the only place one looks for guidance, it's unfortunatly lacking.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

quick61 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:12 pm Hey Jim,
All I did was type G2core into DuckDuckGo and the 3rd link was to - https://github.com/synthetos/g2 with the first being some add and the second one to the wiki - https://github.com/synthetos/g2/wiki/What-is-g2core.
Yeah, that's exactly what i did, but it was late, I saw the add as well, perhaps i got confused by that, but I didn't find the links you did, perhaps I miss-typed or something.
Smiteberg wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:12 pm Yes it's open souce. Here's a link to their license page
thanks for the links, interesting. Honestly though, their GitHub wiki page looks rather poor, it took me a few minutes to realise it was a wiki page.

Very interesting project, thanks for the post, I'll look into it a bit.