Bug #4040. Unspecified "error" in pad after change to sketch.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Hi,

I have a fairly standard ball-nut housing which I have now modified the outline of. The sketch checks out as fully specified with zero d.f. but now the pad of this sketch , I called base-block, it showing an error.

I did a recompute , still showing an error exclamation in the tree. If I try to modify the length of the pad it shows time window "Error!" and I have to cancel out.

I do not see any error output in report window nor on console.

Is there a way to find out what is cause the alleged error, or to get some more detail on it?

TIA.

[EDIT] OK, I found it. There was a break in the outline which was masked by construction lines but why is there no output? There must be something failing which could at least give a clue.
Attachments
housing-error.FCStd
(48.82 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by freman on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Unspecified "error" in pad after change to sketch.

Post by sliptonic »

The sketch was entirely valid, it just didn't make a pad-able shape. Since you had modified an earlier shape that was padable, I guess it was doing it's best.

This really shouldn't have been posted to the Path/CAM section as the error was in the drawing geometry and not in the Path job. Please post to the appropriate section of the forum.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I put this in the Path forum , not because I needed help but because there is a need to provide some meaningful output not just "Error!"

I had already posted an update explaining that I had found the problem ( despite the lack of information ) and which reiterates the need for this error to be trapped at a point where it can give some usable information to the user.

In moving this to Help , you have probably ensured it is less likely to get attention or get recognised as an issue.

Please take notice of the content before moving posts to different forums.

thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freman wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 am I put this in the Path forum , not because I needed help but because there is a need to provide some meaningful output not just "Error!"
I can see no reason why in Path forum a better message should be created.
In moving this to Help , you have probably ensured it is less likely to get attention or get recognised as an issue.
In moving this to help I have given it the possibility to be recognized by people who can fix it. If I had left it in Path subforum, I would have probably assured that it would get no further attention at all.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

sliptronic suggested it was misplaced because:
the error was in the drawing geometry
As I reiterated , that is missing the point. I found the error in drawing ( sketch ). The reason I sent this Path was because I was thinking it was the path code which is failing to trap the error where some useful information could be output. In fact it displays zero errors either on report window or on console.

All that happens is a little exclamation mark comes up on the pad with no reason. Further attempts to modify the pad get a rather dumb "Error!", which is equally unhelpful.

Now pad is in Part Design , not path, so slip was right that it was not well placed in Path. It should have been moved to Part Design. Perhaps you could take care of that.

Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Hey man, what do you want? You seem to be the guy who cannot give in.
Do you really think that sliptonic, who is on this forum for 8 years (and please don't tell me that it isn't exactly 8 years) doesn't know where to put such a post :roll: ? I too have seen thousands of posts, many of them being bug discussions. Of course things can slip through but not after asking back!

One of the sticky topics in Help forum is about bug reports. Please read it. Carefully. Especially point 2!

Looking at the board index you see
PartDesign:
About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Besides that, I'm out of this. If you still think it should be moved - after all, I still can be wrong - find someone else to do so.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Do you really think that sliptonic, who is on this forum for 8 years (and please don't tell me that it isn't exactly 8 years) doesn't know where to put such a post :roll: ?
In the comment you are replying to I said?
so slip was right that it was not well placed in Path.
What part of that did you manage to misunderstand?
He did not say it should be in Help, so I was not questioning but agreeing with his comment.
PartDesign:
About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
what part of where I have explained three times that this is NOT a help request are you refusing to accept ?

Apologies to sliptronic for inadvertently thinking this was related to Path.
Of course things can slip through but not after asking back!
I had not "asked back" at that point, when I do , I get shouted at.

I much appreciated your input on getting something out of SVG . Please refer to point #7. ;)

I've opened a bug report about the lack of error reporting: #4040.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Bug #4040. Unspecified "error" in pad after change to sketch.

Post by TheMarkster »

Interestingly, if I delete all the path jobs, and then double click the Pad to try it again I get a meaningful failed-to-validate-broken-face error. Then if I undo and put one of the path jobs back and try again the error message becomes the non-descriptive "Error!". Could somehow the code in Path workbench be masking the PartDesign feature error message?