cfmesh failing to mesh heat sink properly

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

slidemountain

cfmesh failing to mesh heat sink properly

Post by slidemountain »

I am trying to simulate a heat sink in an air duct, but whenever I mesh with cfmesh most of the fins are combined into a single block.The heat sink is about 300x250x90mm with 5.25mm between fins. To simulate an air duct it's in a box 400x800x300 mm with a 330x250x100 mm refinement box around it. I've been trying to mesh with cfmesh (20mm base element size). I've tried both surface and internal volume refinement. The results have been essentially the same (as far as the problem goes). The picture below is a volume mesh with a relative element size of 0.175.

All of the fins are captured if I use gmsh or snappyhexmesh. Is there something special I need to do to mesh between the fins with cfmesh? Thanks!

oliveroxtoby

Re: cfmesh failing to mesh heat sink properly

Post by oliveroxtoby »

slidemountain wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:32 am
All of the fins are captured if I use gmsh or snappyhexmesh. Is there something special I need to do to mesh between the fins with cfmesh? Thanks!
There should not be. Are you able to share the geometry to test with?
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
slidemountain

Post by slidemountain »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:18 am
Sorry for the delay, had to make sure I had permission. This is the exact model and configuration in question.
Attachments
sink-angle.FCStd
(101.39 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

slidemountain wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:11 am
oliveroxtoby wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:18 am
Sorry for the delay, had to make sure I had permission. This is the exact model and configuration in question.
Just needs a bit more mesh resolution. Works for me with a base mesh size of 12 mm. Alternatively one more level of refinement in your refinement volume, although that becomes very slow.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.