What is needed and Release 14 Issues

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nithinrao

What is needed and Release 14 Issues

Post by nithinrao »

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post these things.

Just found FreeCad 2 days ago. Has a lot of features already and looks very promising. Cheers to the developers.

But most importantly i think we need the basic Datum POINT, AXIS and PLANE as already discussed in some other topics. With that things can really go to the next level.

Also with all many different ways to define them.

To the issues with Release 14

1. http://postimg.org/image/iu8ygdikt/
Deleting constraints is not possible once the sketch has been included in another feature. In the case of, constraint being a dimension, there is no problems with modifying it but it still cant be deleted or changed to another constraint.

2.http://s23.postimg.org/7nhkohcuz/image.jpg
For the Ruled Surface command direction control for the lines is needed. An overlapping surface may result otherwise.

3.http://postimg.org/image/6vgm7tj6f/
Can we have the 'Wrong selection' message NOT pop up when no selection is made at all, maybe the feature definition opens and waits for an input.

Last question is
How do we add more edges to an already existing chamfer or fillet command? I guess a list box in the fillet and chamfer tool would be helpful for this.

I would love to get into testing this software. Let me know if its possible.
triplus
Veteran

Re: What is needed and Release 14 Issues

Post by triplus »

First one is solved:

Discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4066&start=0

And override option landed:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD_sf_m ... 987d2b9ce1

Second one well you might find one or two workarounds here that works for you:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2337&start=0

But yes to be able to control the direction would be great.

Third one is probably personal preference? When you will use FreeCAD for some time you will probably avoid this pop up easily.
Last question is
How do we add more edges to an already existing chamfer or fillet command? I guess a list box in the fillet and chamfer tool would be helpful for this.
I don't think this is implemented yet. You have to create new chamfer/fillet and delete old one and in new one select desired edges you would like to use. But yes in the future it would be nice to have the option to add/remove edges from already created chamfer/fillet it would speed up workflow a bit and add to the ease of use. And one tip i usually do chamfer/fillet operations at the end and then it's quite easy to delete them and to use different edges to create new one if this is needed.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

nithinrao wrote:But most importantly i think we need the basic Datum POINT, AXIS and PLANE as already discussed in some other topics.
This should be added hopefully for v0.14.
triplus wrote:
nithinrao wrote:How do we add more edges to an already existing chamfer or fillet command? I guess a list box in the fillet and chamfer tool would be helpful for this.
I don't think this is implemented yet.
It is not implemented in the Part Design Chamfer/Fillet, but it is in the Part Chamfer/Fillet tools. The Part tools work differently and they nest their parent under them, so it's a matter of preference.

Is one of you guys willing to post a feature request on Mantis for the Part Design Chamfer/Fillet?
triplus wrote:And one tip i usually do chamfer/fillet operations at the end
From what I gathered from different readings over the years, this is a universal advice that is valid for any CAD package.
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

Hi,

please have a look at the threads I posted in this forum concerning the "new PartDesign" branch derived from jriegel's Assembly branch. E.g. this branch has datum features already implemented. You will notice the "adding edges to fillet" is also already mentioned in one of those threads:

BUGS - new PartDesign with Body and Datum features viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4057
MUST-HAVE new PartDesign with Body and Datum features viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4058
WOULD-LIKE-TO-HAVE new PartDesign with Body and Datum feats viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4059
NICE-TO-HAVE new PartDesign with Body and Datum features viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4060

It would be great if as many people as possible could help with debugging this branch!

Thanks!
Jan
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jrheinlaender wrote:It would be great if as many people as possible could help with debugging this branch!
[rant]
Problem is, GIT IS NOT EASY.

Please do not expect experienced CAD users to be as proficient with Git, and compiling. If you want many people testing your branch, then LINK to a VERY CLEAR tutorial on how to do so - or make one.

And BTW - since the wiki move nearly 2 months ago, the wiki is unavailable to me on weeknights (7:00PM to past midnight) here in the East Coast.

One thing I have not seen anywhere (and I've looked) is a quick list of commands on how to git clone multiple branches and manage them, compile in a separate branch and make sure what you are on is the branch you actually want. Nowhere have I seen a clear tutorial addressed to plain users interested in branch testing, everything is targeted for developers.

tanderson69 offered me to log in to #freecad to get help... I hate IRC. Everytime I log in I can see 15-20 people logged in but no one actually responds there is zero activity. I must not be on the right timezone. Why anyone would stay logged in if they are AFK is beyond me (one more reason for me to hate IRC).

I've tired of trying to find condensed information on the above and decided to download and compile your branch separately even if it takes a lot more time and bandwidth.
[/rant]
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jrheinlaender wrote:E.g. this branch has datum features already implemented.
Where, and how?

I just finished compiling, started FreeCAD from your branch, created a new document and created a sketch and padded it. Everything looks absolutely the same as the master branch, except it's lagging master by about a month (yours is rev 2091, current git is 2127)

Thanks.

Edit: FYI that's what I did:

Code: Select all

git clone git://github.com/jrheinlaender/FreeCAD.git
cmake .
make -j3
Then launched (...)/FreeCAD/bin/FreeCAD.
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

I'm no git expert, but you have to switch to the jrheinlaender/dev-assembly-partdesign branch. Probably with git checkout <branch> and then compile again (if you're lucky it will only compile the changed files).

git branch will show you the available branches and which one is active.

Jan
mrlukeparry

Post by mrlukeparry »

someone asked me this a few days ago (IRC would you believe)

To create new branch from a branch from a remote (if you've cloned his repository) it should be

git checkout -b myAssemblyBranch origin/dev-assembly-partdesign
origin will change depending what the repo is called but can be checked using

git branch -a
If I get bored tonight, I'll maybe write something up as an aid and stick it on the forums as currently I cannot develop anything with the troublesome problem of OCC 6.6.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

For the Ruled Surface command direction control for the lines is needed. An overlapping surface may result otherwise.
In order to avoid/fix twisted ruled surfaces I have added a new property "Orientation". This accepts three values:
* Automatic (default): tries to check if the 2nd edge/wire needs to reverse its orientation
* Forward: does nothing, it's the behaviour as it is now
* Reversed: forces to reverse the orientation of the 2nd edge/wire

The "Automatic" mode works already very well for the above scenario. In case it fails the user has the possibility to fix it by setting it to "Reversed".
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Great! This actually enables me to use ruled surface on regular basis. I avoided ruled surfaces as much as possible until now because the result was sometimes off and it was a bit frustrating not been able to control the direction!

Will test once PPA updates and the same goes for the new dialogue to override FreeCAD trying to prevent me to delete something.