FEA for additive manufacturing.

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Mark Szlazak

FEA for additive manufacturing.

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Do we have the ability to do FEA for additive manufacturing. Specifically, element activation where the part is meshed before the analysis but when the simulation starts all its elements are deactivated and become activated when AM machine tool fills them with material. This would include variable cooling areas in the model.

Second, if our FEA’s have this ability then is there a nice example how to do testing of a fairly complex 3D-printed part. I would like to learn how to do this but have very little background in FEA testing and especially for something more sophisticated like this. So a worked out example would be great.

Thanks.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: FEA for additive manufacturing.

Post by Jee-Bee »

don't know if i understand your question well...
do you meant topological optimalisation like this: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=15460 and https://github.com/fandaL/beso
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:16 am don't know if i understand your question well...
do you meant topological optimalisation like this: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=15460 and https://github.com/fandaL/beso
I am not sure but I do not see the analysis happening as AM machine tool fills the model with material which requires a tool-mesh intersection feature. Is it there?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

looks like you search for something different.
do you know some examples how and where it is been used... software youtube examples etc
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:27 am looks like you search for something different.
do you know some examples how and where it is been used... software youtube examples etc
I have not looked because I do not have funds to justify purchasing but most of the major FEA software vendors (such as Abaqus, ANSYS, COMSOL or Nastran) introduce AM simulations to their programs.
Last edited by Mark Szlazak on Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have searched a tiny bit around bit i didn't fount that much info.
I don't think it is part of the basic package.
Basically if you have to create it youself. don't know what for features are needed and i don't know if the features you need can found in CCX or Elmer.

Edit Please don't quote me all the time... i'm the first reaction not 5 posts back
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Found a few pointers on where to look like Genoa 3DP and another is Simufact Additive by MSC software. Need to check because all this is very new to me.
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

This should give one a better idea.

phpBB [video]
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

since Genoa is able to us Abaqus format output. you could try what's happens if you put it in the calulix solver...
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

Calculix has a 3d printing related similation? Great. Do you have link to tutorial? Many thanks.