pythonical adding all the holes to an operation

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RatonLaveur

Re: pythonical adding all the holes to an operation

Post by RatonLaveur »

i have to agree with bill on two points regarding the drilling op:

1. "reset" selects all holes. Expected behaviour is de-select all holes. In which case a "select all holes" button might be useful.
2. This is hilarious. I genuinely chuckled when pressing reset worked. Without malice :) :)

Now, based on further testing:

- All holes, regardless of diameter and depth are detected which is fine.
- I can however imagine a case in which the pinboard would have alternate diameters, one for pins and one for threaded and fixturing.
- In this case, being able to process "groups" of holes" might be useful. I wonder if the PartDesign hole tool may help, since it processes holes in groups already for a given type of holes for each sketch...I wonder I wonder.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

RatonLaveur wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 am - All holes, regardless of diameter and depth are detected which is fine.
- I can however imagine a case in which the pinboard would have alternate diameters, one for pins and one for threaded and fixturing.
- In this case, being able to process "groups" of holes" might be useful. I wonder if the PartDesign hole tool may help, since it processes holes in groups already for a given type of holes for each sketch...I wonder I wonder.
Obviously the drilling op only has one tool so all drilled holes will be the same size. It can be useful to drill big holes with a small bit but I don't think it should ever allow selection of a smaller hole than the current tool.

I thought it was possible to work with groups of holes by resetting and then sorting the list by diameter and group selecting.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

oh...sliptonic does it again. thank you for pointing out my idiocy, and thanks to whomever implemented that.

It works.

As for drilling big holes with smaller tools, I can imagine the use of a center drill to prepare all holes, followed by further "per diameter" drilling ops.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:35 pm I thought it was possible to work with groups of holes by resetting and then sorting the list by diameter and group selecting.
I remember we talked about sorting and filtering of holes - but I guess nobody every needed it badly enough.

On a grand scale I actually agree with that - sorting and filtering would be really handy for this scenario but it is probably a very special case. I can't remember ever seeing a model with more than 10 holes to be drilled. Unless you're making a pinhole board, a cribb board or work for the aerospace agency the # holes one typically deals with is faster sorted out manually than setting up a filter. Happy to be convinced otherwise though ...
bill

Post by bill »

mlampert wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:52 pm I can't remember ever seeing a model with more than 10 holes to be drilled.
Yeah, right! On a CNC machine none the less!
Programming is only half the battle; the other half is what to program.
le coon is just trying to provide some of the latter; "domain expertise" as well as he/myself/anybody-else can.
MECP.jpg
MECP.jpg (982.96 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
The attachment MECP.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
PCP.jpg
PCP.jpg (934.02 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

mlampert wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:52 pm
sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:35 pm I thought it was possible to work with groups of holes by resetting and then sorting the list by diameter and group selecting.
I remember we talked about sorting and filtering of holes - but I guess nobody every needed it badly enough.

On a grand scale I actually agree with that - sorting and filtering would be really handy for this scenario but it is probably a very special case. I can't remember ever seeing a model with more than 10 holes to be drilled. Unless you're making a pinhole board, a cribb board or work for the aerospace agency the # holes one typically deals with is faster sorted out manually than setting up a filter. Happy to be convinced otherwise though ...
The argument is rather moot dear Mr. lampert, as Mr. sliptonic prompted me to try again and deeper than the extreme the surface:
Sorting and Filtering of holes is possible already in quite a comfortable way! which is great