Path workbench crashes [solved]

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
falviani

Path workbench crashes [solved]

Post by falviani »

My setup:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16117 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: dbb4cc6415bac848a294f03b80f65e888d531742
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I'm getting a wide variety of errors and crashes when I try to do anything with the path workbench.

In this case, I created a body then a sketch in the part design workbench. I then padded that to have stock to work on. I then went into the Draft workbench to create a shape string attached to the top of that stock, and went back to the part design workbench to create a pocket from that. I then went into the path workbench and created a job. The following error immediately occured:

Path workbench activated
centroid_post gcode postprocessor loaded.
Unhandled Base::Exception caught in GUIApplication::notify.
The error message is: Access violation

However, I can still (seemingly) use the GUI at this point, so I went into the output tab. When I clicked out of the window to come here to record my actions, it went gray and the task manager showed 'not responding'. I also continue to get unhandled exception reports in the report window. Any time it stops responding the only thing I can do is end the task.

What can I do? I just wanted to create a simple text string that I could mill out on my new Genmitsu 3018Pro milling machine to start learning. Virtually any operation in the path workbench results in exceptions and hangs :(

I've been fairly successful in using FreeCAD for modeling for my 3D printer, so the application as a whole is quite useful, but this is very frustrating. I think I need to switch applications for this type of task.
Last edited by falviani on Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Path workbench crashes

Post by chrisb »

Can you please retry with a current 0.19 version and report back?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Afternoon, Sir.
If I recall, personal experience on my Windows machine had yielded some errors related to the Centroid post processor near the end of the 0.18 release cycle. I think those may have been fixed only recently in the nightly pre-0.19 builds.

May I suggest that when you create a new Path Job for your part, change the post processor in the Job settings to something other than Centroid, like LinuxCNC for example. Doing this helped me resolve some related errors in path workbench there for a while.

This is not to say this will solve the problem, but it may help somewhat based on my experience.

Also, if you have access to the nightly builds, they tend to be stable most of the time and will offer access to additional features under development, or just awaiting the next official release.

Best regards,
Russell
falviani

Post by falviani »

It's not obvious how to get the nightly builds (I've tried looking for them). I could use new glasses, I guess. Where do I get them, so I can follow your suggestion?

Thanks in advance,
Frank
falviani

Post by falviani »

Found the nightlies. New set up is:
Version: 0.19.17337 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 0871fb49c71f1ac4029e441814332368f42bd78a
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

on activating path workbench:
Path workbench activated
PathAreaOp(95).initOperation()

changed to grbl postprocessor OK
set output path, got this:

app became unresponsive. Had to end task. :(
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

wanna post your file so we can have a look?
falviani

Post by falviani »

I'd be delighted to - here it is. I wanted to surprise my wife, who's been at a convention while I'm getting started on this. The file was saved before using the path workbench.

Thanks in advance - Frank
Attachments
TextPath1.FCStd
(92.16 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

Evening Sir,
I'm taking a look at your latest post regarding your difficulties with FreeCAD. A couple of things have caught my attention.

I have downloaded the four Windows nightly builds for 0.19.17337. I unzipped each and ran each. I copied the FC information from each version into a text file for comparison.

Your new FC setup includes:
falviani wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 am...
I see you have the x64 version and Python 3. My setup is as follows:
FreeCAD_0.19.17337_x64_LP_12.1.2_PY3QT5-WinVS2015
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that you have downloaded the Conda build, FreeCAD_0.19.17337_x64_Conda_Py3QT5-WinVS2015. Is that correct?
Based on this, one possible problem is that the Conda build uses Qt 5.6.2. Qt 5.6 had a few know issues related to the GUI and certain graphics cards on Windows machines. So, my first suggestion is to download the other x64 nightly, FreeCAD_0.19.17337_x64_LP_12.1.2_PY3QT5-WinVS2015 - really, the focus is on the "LP_12.1.2" version, being libpack based. The libpack "LP_12.1.2" versions use a newer Qt 5.12, which has proven less problematic in FC deployment.

Second, I just had to employ the fix suggested by WMayer in his post, Re: Black screen by starting first document. In particular, if you have admin access on your machine, I suggest the environmental variable fix he provides in the last line of his post. If a part of your issue is Qt related with the GUI, the environmental variable setting he gives may take care of the problem. I had GUI issues with recent nightlies, including the 0.19.17337 release we are working with here, and it fixed the problem.

Hang in there,
Russell
Last edited by Russ4262 on Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ4262

Post by Russ4262 »

falviani wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:55 am I'd be delighted to - here it is. I wanted to surprise my wife, who's been at a convention while I'm getting started on this. The file was saved before using the path workbench.

Thanks in advance - Frank
Great choice for "TestPath1". I attached the file with a sample job and path operations. I did not see any errors during job and path creation, nor with the model itself. I think it might be a Qt - GUi related issue you are experiencing.

I pasted my FreeCAD info for reference.

Best wishes, Frank.
Russ

Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
TextPath1_A.FCStd
(172.07 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
falviani

Post by falviani »

Thank you for all your efforts!!

I set the environment variable as suggested and downloaded the other nightly. The first time I opened the executable, it complained about missing several dlls, but opening it again was completely uneventful :) I was able to create a job, a tool, and several paths without problems. Opening your sample was successful, and I was able to simulate and (after changing the postprocessor to grbl to match my little Genmitsu 3018 Pro) post-process to grbl gcode.

While I have a great deal to learn, at least I can now use FreeCAD to do so :D

As a retired programmer with too many years of experience, may I suggest a minor addition that would make development a bit easier: update text windows such as the report view to support at least copying the contents, so it's easier for users to send in supporting data. That might not be a great deal of effort.

Again, immense thanks for your help. I plan to keep up with the nightlies on a regular basis from now on.