"Handles" for moving objects in FreeCad

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Clayton071049#

"Handles" for moving objects in FreeCad

Post by Clayton071049# »

Would someone please tell me how to do 2 things?
1.) I need to find the 3D red, yellow, and blue "handles" to move objects around with.

2.) once I do that I need to combine (make a union of?) the two objects. If as I read, it's possible to do something to align the two parts perfectly (say, "Select both, then click "align") once they are in place (properly positioned) I need to do that before I fuse them.

I just want to be able to "drag, drop, and fuse/join/unite etc."

Please help me by utilizing the "KISS" principle. After all my attempts I'm beginning to think I'm a little stupid. :-(

What and Why: i am attempting to fix a FreeCad file. I have been attempting to print a Christmas vase for a friend since October. For some reason the bottom of the vase came up unstable or warped as opposed to flat so that the vase rocks when I print it. I need to join a "primitive" cube to the bottom of the vase by sliding it into the bottom of the vase thereby leveling the bottom off. I hope that is clear.

I had the "handles" once. When I went to fuse the two parts I got an error message and the parts would not fuse. Perhaps I used the wrong tool. I probably should have used the union tool. Now when I try to get the vase and the cube on the workbench the cube attaches itself to the vase (in the wrong place) and I cannot move just the cube. Moving one moves all. (and why is it that FreeCad search engine does not understand the words "handles" and "reposition?"

I have selected an earlier version of the vase I am making and will attempt to remake the bottom by fusing the two parts together and leveling the bottom out when I understand how to do it.

Thank you for being patient with my ignorance. If you want to laugh I won't take offense.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: "Handles" for moving objects in FreeCad

Post by TheMarkster »

Can you attach your file? You can do it by dragging and dropping onto where you type your message.

One thing to consider is 3 feet will make the vase more stable than a flat bottom would. A 3-legged table never rocks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Clayton071049# wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:09 am 1.) I need to find the 3D red, yellow, and blue "handles" to move objects around with.
It's the transform tool. For objects created in Part workbench you get it by doubleclicking in the tree on the object. You can use it as well on a PartDesign body, where you initiate it in the right mouse context menu.
2.) once I do that I need to combine (make a union of?) the two objects. If as I read, it's possible to do something to align the two parts perfectly (say, "Select both, then click "align") once they are in place (properly positioned) I need to do that before I fuse them.
You can use the attachment dialog or use the Manipulator workbench. The latter has to be installed with the AddonManager.
I just want to be able to "drag, drop, and fuse/join/unite etc."
I'm afraid that won't do for such complex tasks as 3D parametric modeling.
(and why is it that FreeCad search engine does not understand the words "handles" and "reposition?"
Invoked from here the search engine shows results when entering these two words.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Clayton071049#

Post by Clayton071049# »

But getting the transform tool was the problem. I finally learned I had to double click the part for the transform tool to show up.
Clayton071049#

Post by Clayton071049# »

OH, and thanks Chrs. Now I just need to join the cube to the Vase Manifold (3) so I can print this thing.[img]This PC/pictures/illonas vase repair screen shot.jpg[img]

I would upload a pic of the work table but I have long forgotten how.
Clayton071049#

Post by Clayton071049# »

Thanks Markster. I tried to drag it to this reply but "the file is too large."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Clayton071049# wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:20 am I would upload a pic of the work table but I have long forgotten how.
Follow the IMPORTANT link above and read point 6.

Images which are too big can be reduced in size/resolution with an appropriate program such as Gimp.