Can't fillet

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
emoreira

Can't fillet

Post by emoreira »

Hi, I'm creating the replacement of a handle that is broken.
I have the model completed, but I get several errors when I fusion the parts and when I try to fillet one arched border.
When I fusion, the piece seems to have hollows, and if I fillet, the piece breaks.

Attached the FreeCad files.
Up to where I could do : manija.FCSTD
After fusion : manija fusion error.FCSTD
After fillet error : manija fillet error.FCSTD

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at upstream/releases/FreeCAD-0-18)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Spanish/Argentina (es_AR)

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Attachments
manija.FCStd
(685.93 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
manija fusion error.FCStd
(747.06 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
manija fillet error.FCStd
(739.16 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Can't fillet

Post by chrisb »

If you perform Part->CheckGeometry with BOP Check enabled you will see several errors in Fillet019. In this situation in almost all cases further boolean operations fail.

Further checking shows that Fillet018 fails as well while Fillet017 does not. So Fillet018 has to be investigated further. Try with less edges to fillet and smaller radius values for the fillet until you found the culprit. If you then still cannot see how to repair, come back here and describe what you found.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
emoreira

Post by emoreira »

Hi crisb, thanks for the hints. Didn't know about checking geometry.
I've deleted fillet 19 and 18 and recreate using another border. Now up to fillet 19 there is no errors. However if I try to fillet the last border (the curved one) I get an error.
Also I still cannot fussion the 3 cubes to the main body.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

phpBB [video]

You didn't need the chamfers because the cut takes care of them for you. Part design has a more user friendly ui for fillets because it has a preview that you can see if the fillet will work before doing it, so I use the final Cut as a BaseFeature in a new part design body to do the fillets. It seems like radical surgery all the stuff I removed, but it's not that much trouble to redo the cuts and fusions and fillets. I don't like doing fillets before boolean operations. Always save them and chamfers for the last operation, then try to do as many as you can all in one go to keep the tree as clean and neat as possible. A good trick is to select the face for the fillet.

When you do a mixture of part and part design objects and operations always use the body for the base or tool, never the pad or pocket or other part design feature. It's okay to go back and forth as long as you remember that -- the body is accessible outside part design, but not its inner features.

Edit: The pause in the video is because I was interrupted by a visitor. You can try fiddling with the size of the fillets to make that last a bit bigger by making the other one a bit smaller. Just check the geometry after to make sure all is good.
Attachments
manija fillet error(v2).FCStd
(377.69 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Hello
Maybe at first , fuse the handle whith the 3 cubes > Refine =True
Select all edges and fillet together face cubes , and fillet all together the other face , if difficult to select the edges : Setting > style > Filaire
Attachments
handle.FCStd
(725.33 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
emoreira

Post by emoreira »

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to figure out the steps done.

Eduardo