Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Please be so kind as to look at my question about Assembly 3. Thanks a lot and best regards
Wilfried
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 15#p317615
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

New bug fix version released.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Mark Szlazak

Post by Mark Szlazak »

realthunder wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 am New bug fix version released.
Thank you! Btw, what was fixed?

Also, there have been various requests in this thread which you stated would come in future updates. Can you or someone create a roadmap of these and anything’s you might want with progress status?

Thanks again.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Mark Szlazak wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:14 pm
realthunder wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 am New bug fix version released.
Thank you! Btw, what was fixed?

Also, there have been various requests in this thread which you stated would come in future updates. Can you or someone create a roadmap of these and anything’s you might want with progress status?

Thanks again.
The bug fixes are usually documented in git commit log, or in the github issue tracker if reported by user. I wasn't planning for this release, but freecad-heini-1 asked about a demo, and I found out a bug in toposhape makeLoft that caused recompute error with his file. The bug does not affect upstream, though. It is caused by inconsistent behavior between my branch and the upstream due to a recent change made in upstream.

I am currently busy preparing for the big merge. It is going to take some time, because I have to manually pick out changes scattered everywhere, and making adjustment along the way.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

I have just updated the images of the latest release because of a critical bug reported by a user.
toralf

Post by toralf »

realthunder wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:00 am I am currently busy preparing for the big merge. It is going to take some time,
Do you have any idea how long it may take?
I’m considering to test ASM3, but if it will be merged upstream not to far into the future I might just wait for it.
Thanks for the great work.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

toralf wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:29 pm Do you have any idea how long it may take?
I’m considering to test ASM3, but if it will be merged upstream not to far into the future I might just wait for it.
Thanks for the great work.
I am not merging asm3 the workbench. Instead, I am merging part of the FreeCAD core changes I made in order to run asm3. I have just finished picking up all the changes that related to Link functionality and pass the upstream test. And it is a huge 64K lines of change set. I am not sure how long it will take to review it. Next, I'll adjust my asm3 to work in this merged version before submitting the PR.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

awesome! once you make the PR i will spend at least an evening going through (some of) your changes. prepare for some silly questions ;)
I have to manually pick out changes scattered everywhere, and making adjustment along the way.
Are you doing any architectural changes to the Link implementation?

i guess it has become a bit more "modular" as you have isolated the functionality from all your other code.

in my codebases at work i usually have a annual or bi-annual rewrite of major parts of the code to better incoperate all the new features that have been integrated since the last architecture design.. It is actually something i enjoy doing ^_^

but my codebases are a bit smaller. only 1-30k lines usually. and pure c code for embedded systems, and a few python scripts to autogenerate code for different hardware configurations and customer integrations.

BTW, your documentation is outstanding.
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... /wiki/Link
https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... re-Changes
Is this up to date with your linkmerge branch?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

realthunder wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:41 pm ...huge 64K lines of change...
:o :shock:
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Well, it seems to me that we are continuously trying to break this "assembly wall" with heads first approach and it is bringing us nothing but headache... If we really want to make FreeCAD work as it should then I would personally do a few steps back and try to do it in about this order:

(not directly related to Link/Asm3 but represents important improvements to a proper Part workflow that gives the building stones for a proper assembly)
1. change the datum elements (point, line, plane, cs) so that they can be used everywhere, not just inside Bodies (should not be ignored and should IMO have priority, we have talked about this just before the 0.18 release https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30)
2. make it possible to work inside the Part container (should not be ignored and should IMO have priority, DeepSOIC had some ideas about this if I remember correctly)
3. extend the current attachment mechanism to have separate options for placement (support), origin and orientation (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 69#p357868)
4. extend the sketch external geometry to include intersections and silhouettes https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 97#p387745
5. change the Body to work like a proper body (this is giving us a lot of problems but it can maybe be done later, I don't know how much work this will be but it should not be ignored, I will make a special post about this)
6. proper strategies for managing the history tree (it is closely related to the Body problem and can also probably be done later but should not be ignored)
7. proper step import/export (should be done after above changes since it is highly dependent on them and should also not be ignored)

(related to Link/Asm3 I would actually try to get in to the master first many of the other things that have been developed with it. i think many of them have been reviewed and tested much better and have a very high value to the users and could have probably been added to the master a long time ago in the 0.18 dev cycle, personally i would specially like to see this...)
8. picked list
9. sketcher exports
10. sketcher toponaming (would be great if ickby and DeepSOIC would share their view on this implementation)
11. general toponaming (would be great if ickby and DeepSOIC would share their view on this implementation)
... there is much more, but some of it can probably have lower priority for later... go over the release notes https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_assembly3/wiki

(the basic Link functionality I would personally like to see in 0.19 but it could probably need some more review... do we really need link groups?)
12. Link

(this should probably wait)
13. Asm3
14. enhanced expression engine

(This post is also related to my answer here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p320880)
Last edited by saso on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.