BIM Workbench

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alex_V

Re: BIM Workbench

Post by alex_V »

yorik wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:36 pmWhat server?
Sorry, I mean a external server, like BIM Server or similar that could manage this process trough a FreeCAD api or similar.
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

alex_V wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:42 pm hi guys,
What do you think is the best solution to deal with the size of the files? Currently I am able to connect to my BIM Server (1.5) and keep the session open, then select my project and the revision that I want to download. (I divided the process in 3 steps since FreeCAD crashes dealing with big projects). But my main problem is importing the IFC file, sometimes it takes a really long time, so if I have 2 or more architects working on the same project it would take ages to download, convert to IFC, import the IFC to FreeCAD, and then the other way around.

I really don't know how we can have a single file (project) that could be shared with the users. I thought BIM and IFC could be the answer but i am a little bit lost about how to do it, what do you guys think?
Slightly sidetracking (sorry), but how do you set up bimserver and or other collaborative environments in freecad?

And a noob question - can IFC files be directly linked into Freecad?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@yorik, just FYI when running test framework on the below FC appimage this is what I see when it opens the BIM WB:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17349 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 7eccda34d090ab641b29fa4be24c515cfa39c601
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 pm Actually that's another point to optimize, the giant parsing operation that starts at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... FC.py#L340 is inefficient and takes a lot of time. We could optimize that a lot by using the inverse attributes of IFC objects, that IfcOpenShell now supports very well
Yorik, would it be possible to give a short example how this works ? You may be did already but I can not find it.

bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:06 pm
yorik wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 pm Actually that's another point to optimize, the giant parsing operation that starts at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... FC.py#L340 is inefficient and takes a lot of time. We could optimize that a lot by using the inverse attributes of IFC objects, that IfcOpenShell now supports very well
Yorik, would it be possible to give a short example how this works ? You may be did already but I can not find it.

bernd
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p291601 I really need to play with this ...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Basically at the moment we have many for...in... loops that scan the whole IFC file contents to extract relationships. However, IFC object can inform themselves of their relationships, thanks to inverse attributes. So the idea would be to, for example, for each of the relationships dictionaries created at file opening, find each place where they are used in the code, and replace with the appropriate relationship attribute.
Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:01 am @yorik, just FYI when running test framework on the below FC appimage this is what I see when it opens the BIM WB:
Oh right... we now have a test that activates each installed workbench... I'll see what can be done there
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok this should be solved now
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:03 pm Ok this should be solved now
Will test when new appimage comes out (~1 week from now)
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
neophyte1

Post by neophyte1 »

Hello!
I recently installed FreeCAD version 0.18.4 installed on a machine running Ubuntu 18.04. I also installed IfcOpenShell by following the instructions at this link: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Arch_IFC. Then I tried to do the exercises in this YouTube tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc12_G5DFF0. But when I got to the point in the video where I needed to use the IFC Elements Manager buttons, they were grayed-out and I could not activate them. The only button I could activate was the Classification Manager. I am a bit of a newbie to Linux and a definite newbie to FreeCAD, so if you have a fix that can be implemented by someone who is just now figuring out what sudo-apt-get means, that would be great. Thanks!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

neophyte1 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 pm Hello!
I recently installed FreeCAD version 0.18.4 installed on a machine running Ubuntu 18.04.
Consider using the development version if you're interested in working with BIM.
AppImage is a very nice way to get started with v0.19_pre
You can also try the FreeCAD Daily PPA