Ticket #4059 - Tooltips for Gui::QuantitySpinBox not showing

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mlampert
Veteran

Ticket #4059 - Tooltips for Gui::QuantitySpinBox not showing

Post by mlampert »

Just noticed that none of the tooltips are showing up anymore, instead when hovering over the field the value, or expression of the field gets displayed.

Anybody else seeing this or is there something I should for them to work again?
Last edited by Kunda1 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket number to thread title
Syres
Veteran

Re: Tooltips for Gui::QuantitySpinBox not showing

Post by Syres »

They still work using (if I've correctly understood your description):

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17331 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: cf18161dc26267c259ac21675cb9637263bf4152
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

One thing I've noticed is they can be 'lazy' so you have to be patient for the first tool tip to appear as if the time for your mouse to be still is a little long but that's being over picky.
ToolTips.jpg
ToolTips.jpg (63.64 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

I played around a little more and it seems it's the expression that makes the tooltip vanish.

As soon as there is an expression attached to the property the spinbox doesn't display the tooltip anymore but displays the expression. This is not a good user experience IMHO - is there a way I can get QuantitySpinBox to display the tooltip regardless of there being an expression or not?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

mlampert wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:06 pm I played around a little more and it seems it's the expression that makes the tooltip vanish.

As soon as there is an expression attached to the property the spinbox doesn't display the tooltip anymore but displays the expression. This is not a good user experience IMHO - is there a way I can get QuantitySpinBox to display the tooltip regardless of there being an expression or not?
Do you have a special scenario where it fails? I created a sketch + pad and set an expression to the pad length and the property editor still showed the tool tip text and not the expression.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

wmayer wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:10 pm Do you have a special scenario where it fails? I created a sketch + pad and set an expression to the pad length and the property editor still showed the tool tip text and not the expression.
Interesting - if you edit the Pocket in attached file and select the "Depths" page, all 4 of those are QuantitySpinBoxes. 3 already have an expression attached and show that one instead of the tooltip. Finish Depth doesn't have an expression and does show the tooltip - however if you set an expression it shows the expression.

Totally forgot to put my info down - sorry about that:

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) (LXQt//usr/share/xsessions/lxqt)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17408 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: master
Hash: 092aaf17e846b89a16c8ce9615086eeac8a49b8c
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
Attachments
box.FCStd
(14.14 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

if you edit the Pocket in attached file and select the "Depths" page, all 4 of those are QuantitySpinBoxes. 3 already have an expression attached and show that one instead of the tooltip.
Confirmed. When looking at the quantity boxes of the task panels I can confirm this behaviour but when looking in the property editor it works as expected. Feel free to open a ticket.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4059 - Tooltips for Gui::QuantitySpinBox not showing

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs