Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
User avatar
saso
Posts: 1337
Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 1:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby saso » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:12 am

realthunder wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:06 am
On the other hand, there are special code inside topo naming algorithm (especially for history back tracing and coloring) to deal specifically for external linked object. It will be more difficult to rip out that part of code than the other way round, because I did develop Link first.
I understand your argument here and can agree with you, but is this the case for both the "Part geometry" toponaming as for the "sketcher" toponaming? As I remember this were developed separately, I would ask you to please consider to get in at least the sketcher toponaming and exports (7 and 8 from my list), because if you take a look around the forum you will see that many different users are missing this functionality, you have it ready, but because it is not merged in the master users are searching and trying to implement different solutions and this again comes to the point of my main complain.
User avatar
Zolko
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 am

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby Zolko » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 am

realthunder wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:30 am
App::Part has a restriction that one object can only be in one part group at any time, this simplifies coding a lot, but causes trouble for assembly, precisely because of the link to group situation. When multiple links to the same group are added to a parent group, the same child object of that linked group now appears multiple times. App::Part cannot distinguish that.
I don't understand: as it is today, App::Link and App::Part are perfectly suited to do assemblies and assemblies of assemblies (*), without the need for LinkGroups. That's what Asm4 does and it just works as it should (and as it works in other CAD systems).


(*) and assemblies of assemblies of assemblies.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD v0.19
install with Tools > Addon Manager > Assembly4 — simple tutorial here
realthunder
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby realthunder » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 pm

saso wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:12 am
I understand your argument here and can agree with you, but is this the case for both the "Part geometry" toponaming as for the "sketcher" toponaming? As I remember this were developed separately, I would ask you to please consider to get in at least the sketcher toponaming and exports (7 and 8 from my list), because if you take a look around the forum you will see that many different users are missing this functionality, you have it ready, but because it is not merged in the master users are searching and trying to implement different solutions and this again comes to the point of my main complain.
Sketch geometry ID and export is what got me started on tackling the topo naming issue. However, once I got the whole topo naming framework more or less done, I went back and reimplement the sketch export stuff using the same framework, and I have since modified sketch several times to improve external geometry, etc. It is really an integrated part of the topo naming framework now.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.10.2) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby realthunder » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:44 pm

Zolko wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:15 am
I don't understand: as it is today, App::Link and App::Part are perfectly suited to do assemblies and assemblies of assemblies (*), without the need for LinkGroups. That's what Asm4 does and it just works as it should (and as it works in other CAD systems).
Because App::Link uses global link scope to bypass App::Part scope control. You should know that most of the additional code of App::Part comparing to a regular group is link scope control. Besides, you are using my modified selection framework to deal with multiple instances of the same object, without which you can't disambiguate them under an App::Part. The things is, the way you are using App::Part right now is to bypass almost everything that makes it an App::Part. And my suggestion to App::Part modification was exactly that the link scope control is not necessary (actually harmful) for assembly use case. The downside of not doing scope control is that the code becomes more complicated, but then we are not dealing with a simple problem in the first place.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.10.2) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
realthunder
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby realthunder » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:06 am

Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.10.2) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
BassMati
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:39 am

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby BassMati » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 am

Axial Move Part Problem

Good morning board!
I don't want to distract too much from the planning, but I'd like to bring your attention to the Asm3 Axial Move Parts tool, which I believe is used to move an assembly relative to its parent assembly. While I can edit the Placement properties directly, or use the Placement Task tool, the Move Parts tool is way more intuitive. However, the mover does not always move the selected assembly, but the second-highest assembly in an tree of nested assemblies.

The simplified model tree:

---- Assembly 001
-------- Assembly002
-------- Assembly003

If I move assembly 2 or 3 in this configuration, everything is fine. The position of the selected assembly is modified as expected. However, in the following configuration,

Assembly000
---- Assembly 001
-------- Assembly002
-------- Assembly003

moving assembly 2 or 3 changes the position properties of assembly 1. In effect, both assemblies 2 and 3 are moved.
The same when assembly 4 or 5 is moved in the following configuration.

Assembly000
---- Assembly 001
-------- Assembly002
------------ Assembly004
-------- Assembly003
------------ Assembly005

In all these situations, the position of assembly001 is modified instead of the selected assembly.

Observation: No matter what element (Assembly, Body, Feature) was selected in the model tree when the Axial Move Parts tool was invoked, the Mover showed up at the origin of assembly 1. But when a Origin was selected the mover appeared at the origin of the related sub-assembly. That seemed to do the trick, however still the position of Assembly001 was changed, but not the position of the selected sub-assembly.

By the way: The Transform Task of a Body element works as expected.

Am I missing something here…?

Best Regards
Ulrich

Preview 0.10.2 2019.07.03 on Windows 10 x64
Attachments
Test3.FCStd
Axial Move Parts Problem Demo
(43.21 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
realthunder
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby realthunder » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:07 am

BassMati wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 am
Axial Move Part Problem
I'll add an "active assembly" concept in future release to make it easy working with deep nested assemblies. Meanwhile, you can do this with the two-selection trick. Select your part first as normal, then CTRL select the parent assembly (within which you want to move your part) in the tree view, and then click Axial move button. In fact, you can use this trick on any action to disambiguate the nested assembly, e.g. adding constraint.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.10.2) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
BassMati
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:39 am

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby BassMati » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:35 am

realthunder wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:07 am
BassMati wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:15 am
Axial Move Part Problem
you can do this with the two-selection trick
Great - that's a life saver! Works perfectly! Thanks a lot!
User avatar
Kunda1
Posts: 5945
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby Kunda1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:20 pm

Where are all the As3 enthusiasts when testing the big App::Link merge at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 7&p=325888 ?
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
realthunder
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:55 am

Re: Assembly3 preview

Postby realthunder » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:25 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:20 pm
Where are all the As3 enthusiasts when testing the big App::Link merge at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 7&p=325888 ?
Right, asm3 actually works in the LinkMerge branch. I'll soon make some changes so that it can be installed through the add-on manager.
Try Assembly3 (latest version 0.10.2) along with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal