Hole in gear

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Hole in gear

Post by chrisb »

I have attached the sketch with the hole to the main XY-plane, i.e. independent from the gear's faces. That makes such a model very robust. If I want to place it at different position I move the whole body.
That way I can make all changes to the gear locally it will keep its holes and other pads and pockets, and the position moves it around globally.

It would be even better if a gear could be created directly inside of a body. SheetMetal workbench can do this, so it seems to be possible. It is not really essential, but would make the tree even cleaner and easier to understand.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

looo wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:02 pm The reason why the sketch is not jumping at first is answered by the observation made with @realthunder's FreeCAD version:

Code: Select all

No planar Face in AttachEngine3D::calculateAttachedPlacement()!
My topo naming feature does not work in this particular case because the name has to come from somewhere. Usually it originated from a sketch, with every geometry inside having an auto generated unique ID. Or maybe it comes from a primitive, like a box, a cylinder, which has a fixed number of geometries. In this case, the primitive is a gear generated by a program that can change its geometry. To make use of my topo naming, the program must manually assign names to the geometry. There are APIs to do that.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
bonny

Post by bonny »

One of solution are to change the gear workbench too.
To have hole (and possible keyway) in the gear itself... But it's just workaround

Slavko.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Thanks for clarification!
realthunder wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:55 pm To make use of my topo naming, the program must manually assign names to the geometry. There are APIs to do that.
Thanks, so in the long run the top and bottom caps need to be named.
chrisb wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 pm It would be even better if a gear could be created directly inside of a body. SheetMetal workbench can do this, so it seems to be possible.
Trying to do this I see the same behavior as with the gear (A base-feature is added inside the body, but the sheet-metal objects are not inserted)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The Bend is inserted directly in the Body. It doesn't seem to be a BaseFeature, as I can see and set all the parameters of the bend.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-17 um 01.58.36.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-07-17 um 01.58.36.png (13.88 KiB) Viewed 680 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:01 am The Bend is inserted directly in the Body. It doesn't seem to be a BaseFeature, as I can see and set all the parameters of the bend.
Ok I see, this work if I start with a part-design feature and apply sheet-metal features on top pf this. But it doesn't work if I start with a part-feature.

Anyway I don't think placing the gear directly in the body will solve the topo-naming issue. So I guess it's not yet time to change anything to the gears-wb. Better wait for the merge of @realthunder's work and afterwards rework the gear-wb to make the gears more robust.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You are right. Placing a gear directly in a body is a completely different topic.
xf3qc

Post by xf3qc »

hi, not sure if this is a good idea, but i was looking for a solution and came accross this post.
what I edned up doing, was to Involute Gear -> Draft to sketch it -> Add citcle -> Extrude back up.