[Feature Request] Allow All Export Formats to be added to the Export File Dialog

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

[Feature Request] Allow All Export Formats to be added to the Export File Dialog

Post by leoheck »

I hate to say that but sometimes Freecad is a pain to use.

The export/save functionality sucks on Linux. Right now, there is a filter that shows only filenames with the filtered extension there.
I have huge file names, that I want to match, especially when exporting something and I have to type a string all the time. Also, the contents of a filter is a way to know what is the current path easily. It is a pain when regular things are hidden by default. By the way, filters are good, so selective clean the view, but not by default when we don't have any control to change it.

So, what I use to do, in every software, is to select a file, so this file name will be added to the "File name" field, then, I just have to change the extension or update a little bit of the filename string.

I would like to suggest at least implement the "ALL" filter so I can see all the files in the folder.

Where should I report this issue?

Using

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.2.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Last edited by leoheck on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syres
Veteran

Re: Exporting is a pain

Post by Syres »

IMO this is a Feature Request, which is normally raised in the Open Discussion section but I'm sure a moderator will move it accordingly. When I saw the thread title it didn't go down too well, please remember that people are giving up their time voluntarily for the development of FreeCAD and therefore may I politely suggest changing the title to something like:

You'll probably get a much better response that way as I can see some merit in what you are requesting but it may have some hurdles.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Exporting is a pain

Post by DeepSOIC »

On Windows, I can type "*" into filename box and hit Enter, to make it display all existing files. FreeCAD uses native windows file picker. This trick works pretty much everywhere..
leoheck
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Allow All Export Formats to be added to the Export File Dialog

Post by leoheck »

@Syres, I totally agree with you. I wanted to express how much the pain I am suffering since it is a so small feature that will make FreeCad usability be really really good. I changed the title following your suggestion.

@DeepSOIC, this is a good workaround, thank you. It doesn't work for me in Linux, and it shouldn't work because you are typing an * as a filename and if you hit enter, you are saying to use it as a filename and since filenames can't have * freecad should give an Error.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Allow All Export Formats to be added to the Export File Dialog

Post by chrisb »

The behaviour seems to be system dependent, e.g. it is different on MacOS, becuae it has a different file selection dialog; so it may be difficult to change the behaviour from the FreeCAD side.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.