[Feature request #4067] Sketcher - Auto Remove Redundants - disabling - Feature request

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketcher - Auto Remove Redundants - disabling - Feature request

Post by chrisb »

HoWil wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:23 pm ping
If you agree, do you want to create a ticket or should I?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:15 pm
HoWil wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:23 pm ping
If you agree, do you want to create a ticket or should I?
I am happy with the discussed solution.
I am grateful if you do create the ticket.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 am This should only happen with the Auto-Remove feature enabled.
The pop-up is not about the auto-remove mode, but FC cannot add it.
I did originally only consider dimensional constraints. If they are not affected by "auto remove redundants" than maybe some help message should be shown when hovering the "Auto remove redundants" entry/box.
abdullah wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 am The way to temporarily remove constraints is the new icon to deactivate/reactivate constraints. For dimensionals, the reference mode may be an alternative.
Thanks for pointing this out... I did not use this feature until now and I did learn something new even if it in not the solution to my current issue.
BR,
HoWil
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 am It would make a nice feature request.
issue #4067
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:26 pm
abdullah wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:24 am It would make a nice feature request.
issue #4067
Thank you.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@HoWil do you mind adding the ticket number to the title of this thread ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:53 am @HoWil do you mind adding the ticket number to the title of this thread ?
Done.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

HoWil wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:49 pm ping
This can be closed with the new checkbox in the dimensioning popup. HoWil do you mind double checking this?
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:19 am This can be closed with the new checkbox in the dimensioning popup. HoWil do you mind double checking this?
I have some remarks in the regard of new FC users.... Please see the sceenshots and the descriptions below
The original sketch just opened. "Under-constrained sketch with 2 degrees of freedom!"
The original sketch just opened. "Under-constrained sketch with 2 degrees of freedom!"
Screenshot from 2020-05-31 20-09-47.png (127.85 KiB) Viewed 660 times
The 30 mm long horizontal line is for a horizontal dimension selected. A solver warning is already highlighted. If one presses here OK, the usual error message "Datum 30,0 mm for the constraint with index 15 is invalid" comes up and the dimension is deleted. Here, a "back" option would be nice (for the user).
The 30 mm long horizontal line is for a horizontal dimension selected. A solver warning is already highlighted. If one presses here OK, the usual error message "Datum 30,0 mm for the constraint with index 15 is invalid" comes up and the dimension is deleted. Here, a "back" option would be nice (for the user).
Screenshot from 2020-05-31 20-10-44.png (136.5 KiB) Viewed 660 times
If one uses 'Reference', than the dimension is changed into a 'reference'-dimension but the solver-message is not cleared/updated. This is a bit confusing because the user maybe thinks it does not matter what he/she selects.
If one uses 'Reference', than the dimension is changed into a 'reference'-dimension but the solver-message is not cleared/updated. This is a bit confusing because the user maybe thinks it does not matter what he/she selects.
Screenshot from 2020-05-31 20-11-13.png (136.88 KiB) Viewed 660 times
In short:
  • The solver-messages have to be updated after clicking the 'Reference' check-box.
  • Optional: it would be good to give a possibility to go back to the 'insert length' dialogue if one presses OK and gets a message that the dimensional constraint is invalid.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

HoWil wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:57 pm [*]The solver-messages have to be updated after clicking the 'Reference' check-box.
they do it here.
[*]Optional: it would be good to give a possibility to go back to the 'insert length' dialogue if one presses OK and gets a message that the dimensional constraint is invalid.
Good idea.