Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

m42kus
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 am

Re: Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

Postby m42kus » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:15 pm

JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:04 pm
I assume the major workload is on the solver input file, is that correct? Do you expect any other major workload?
For me most of the work is to figure out how elmer equations I haven't worked with yet work especially together with other equations like flow. The actual implementation is not that much work because I developed a very flexible framework for elmer.
JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:04 pm
If multiphysic such as FSI is not included, what is the typical case that Elmer can do but Calculix can not do?

Sorry that I am a beginner and my question may not be quite professional.
Well my goal two years ago was to replicate what calculix can do. The reason I integrated elmer is because of the potential it has as a flexible multiphysics solver.
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
JamesMarine
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

Postby JamesMarine » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm

m42kus wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:15 pm
JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:04 pm
I assume the major workload is on the solver input file, is that correct? Do you expect any other major workload?
For me most of the work is to figure out how elmer equations I haven't worked with yet work especially together with other equations like flow. The actual implementation is not that much work because I developed a very flexible framework for elmer.
JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:04 pm
If multiphysic such as FSI is not included, what is the typical case that Elmer can do but Calculix can not do?

Sorry that I am a beginner and my question may not be quite professional.
Well my goal two years ago was to replicate what calculix can do. The reason I integrated elmer is because of the potential it has as a flexible multiphysics solver.
Do you have any plan to work further on the FSI fuctions of Elmer solver? I am not an expert in coding, but if you need, I'll see what can I do to assist.
m42kus
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 am

Re: Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

Postby m42kus » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:09 pm

JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Do you have any plan to work further on the FSI fuctions of Elmer solver? I am not an expert in coding, but if you need, I'll see what can I do to assist.
If you could sort out the elmer stuff, I'd be willing to do the coding part :) What is your timeline regarding this feature? Do you need it soon?
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
HoWil
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

Postby HoWil » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:17 am

JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Do you have any plan to work further on the FSI fuctions of Elmer solver? I am not an expert in coding, but if you need, I'll see what can I do to assist.
Hi James, Hi Markus,
I would love to see this evolving and can promise my very limited time budget for testing.
Br,
Howil
JamesMarine
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

Postby JamesMarine » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:37 am

m42kus wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:09 pm
JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Do you have any plan to work further on the FSI fuctions of Elmer solver? I am not an expert in coding, but if you need, I'll see what can I do to assist.
If you could sort out the elmer stuff, I'd be willing to do the coding part :) What is your timeline regarding this feature? Do you need it soon?
The timeline is in the next month(end of Aug), do you think this is possible to acheive? What kind of work do you need from myside, can you please kindly give some more detailed description? I can start from now.
JamesMarine
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

Postby JamesMarine » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:39 am

HoWil wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:17 am
JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Do you have any plan to work further on the FSI fuctions of Elmer solver? I am not an expert in coding, but if you need, I'll see what can I do to assist.
Hi James, Hi Markus,
I would love to see this evolving and can promise my very limited time budget for testing.
Br,
Howil
That's great! FreeCAD forum is indeed a great place, we can work together for this and look forward to a better FreeCAD day by day.
HoWil
Posts: 840
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:31 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

Postby HoWil » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:28 pm

JamesMarine wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:37 am
m42kus wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:09 pm
JamesMarine wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm
Do you have any plan to work further on the FSI fuctions of Elmer solver? I am not an expert in coding, but if you need, I'll see what can I do to assist.
If you could sort out the elmer stuff, I'd be willing to do the coding part :) What is your timeline regarding this feature? Do you need it soon?
The timeline is in the next month(end of Aug), do you think this is possible to acheive? What kind of work do you need from myside, can you please kindly give some more detailed description? I can start from now.
To start with it would be good to have a simple and working model, a sort of benchmark which shows all needed elmer-related settings.
There should be a 2D example in the documentation. Since Elmer in Freecad works only for 2D models (due to some mesh related thing I cannot remember) you could start with building a working 3D simulation based on a exported mesh created with FC. In the end we need a working .sif file and e.g. a .unv mesh file to play with.
m42kus
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:41 am

Re: Elmer Integration (GSoC) - Activity Log

Postby m42kus » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:31 am

JamesMarine wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:37 am
The timeline is in the next month(end of Aug), do you think this is possible to acheive? What kind of work do you need from myside, can you please kindly give some more detailed description? I can start from now.
Hey, sorry I totally missed you post :oops:

Yes it should be doable to have something working till the end of August although it will probably not be perfect yet ;) Just like HoWil said first a working 3D example with a commented elmer input file with descriptions of the essential options would be a good start. Most important are options that should be configurable by the user via the FreeCAD GUI. Also if you could play around a little with solver settings to find out a configuration with which the model converges best/fastest - that would be very helpful :)
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc