microsoft buys github

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: microsoft buys github

Post by triplus »

One of the problems to consider is GitHub was considered the obvious choice for a while now. Therefore a huge developer base and ecosystem was built around it. Moving elsewhere would sort of alienate us from that ecosystem. Fragmenting the ecosystem again.

Hopefully what will happen in a foreseeable future is some general (on an ecosystem level) recognition of the problems involved will emerge and some settling solution will be the outcome. As the truth is we didn't move to CodePlex but have selected and moved to GitHub in the past. And that in my opinion does play an important role.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There is a number of worrying reports that Github has started cancelling accounts of people from countries the US decided they were enemies, such as Iran. We might need to move out soon...

Fortunately we're all set up already :) https://gitlab.com/freecad/FreeCAD

At the moment I've set up a hook so everytime I push to github, I also push to gitlab. So it's pretty up to date, but it's not automatic.

I'd encourage everybody who has write access to the github repo to do the same... Just create a gitlab account and tell me, and I'll enable you there. After that it's just a matter of git add the gitlab url to your push urls ( https://gist.github.com/bjmiller121/f93 ... 709d2b968f ) so if needed, the transition will be smooth ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:04 pm Fortunately we're all set up already :) https://gitlab.com/freecad/FreeCAD
We'll need to tweak the settings on MantisBT to connect to gitlab now...not sure if this will break pre-exisiting links ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Perhaps worth considering migrating to GitLab issues at the same time, or as close as can be done?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Just as a sidenote: Gitlab may no longer be accessible any more from Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. From the article:
NOTE to users in Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria
GitLab.com may not be accessible after the migration to Google.
Google has informed us that there are legal restrictions that are
imposed for those countries. See this U.S. Department of the
Treasury link for more details. At this time, we can only
recommend that you download your code or export relevant
projects as a backup.
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17687295

See also here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/github-st ... sanctions/
"fight the good fight"
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

:disappointed: What is just wrong with our world those days?!?
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

What about using a self hosted Gitea : https://gitea.io
I know someone using it and as said on homepage it is very lightweight. Very low memory / CPU consumption compared to self hosted Gitlab. Even a Raspberry Pi is enough.

If self hosting is an issue. Some great and stable free/libre software promotion associations has Gitlab instance like Framasoft : https://framagit.org
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

While we could self-host, if we did I'd rather just self-host GitLab. However running our own git infrastructure would add work to a sysadmin team of basically less than 1 person, which diverts resources that could be going towards actual development of FreeCAD.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:48 pm Just as a sidenote: Gitlab may no longer be accessible any more from Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. From the article:
Darn, how disgusting this is...

Indeed self-hosting is the ideal solution, but unless someone dedicated steps up to set it up and maintain it, it might give us a lot of headache, with shortages, unavailable service, security holes, etc.

But let's keep our eyes open for an alternative...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:33 am
sgrogan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:48 pm Just as a sidenote: Gitlab may no longer be accessible any more from Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria. From the article:
Darn, how disgusting this is...

Indeed self-hosting is the ideal solution, but unless someone dedicated steps up to set it up and maintain it, it might give us a lot of headache, with shortages, unavailable service, security holes, etc.

But let's keep our eyes open for an alternative...
kkremitzki wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:35 pm While we could self-host, if we did I'd rather just self-host GitLab. However running our own git infrastructure would add work to a sysadmin team of basically less than 1 person, which diverts resources that could be going towards actual development of FreeCAD.
As I said when we first moved to Git, we should not encourage everything to be hosted at GitHub or elsewhere. One of the wonderful things about Git is the ability to decentralise. I personally never managed to get my GitHub account to work properly and after some initial frustration I went elsewhere and found that the other site worked perfectly for me.

I have always preferred us to develop into self hosting our project. In my opinion to do this properly we need an entity to manage this sort of aspect of FreeCAD and employ a team of people to ensure that everything works. But of course we then need some sort of income to support that and we also potentially create a target for being attacked over Software patents claims and the like. If we were to go to all that effort then one has to wonder if we should also offer support to other projects so that we can share the overhead costs, doing so would to some extent make us into yet another SourceForge/GitHub etc. At a minimum it might be logical for us to offer to mirror/host other OS CAD, like KiCAD, LibreCAD, BRLCAD, OCC, etc.

Anyway the important point I want to make here is that you all really need to consider, is WHY these companies are doing these things? Its because of the the LAW so no amount of self hosting etc. gets us around the law.

These so called LAWs are mostly just coming from the USA at this time, of course to a limited extent we can host in different countries etc. the problem comes down to the USA acting as an arrogant international bully and as though they think they are the government of the world (the UN?) rather than accepting they are only the government of one country. All our governments get bullied into accepting what they force on us either directly or by their control of International banking, their military and economic power and the control of the Internet etc. So honestly it realistically comes down to us needing an International Law professional to advise us if we seriously want to avoid these mostly USA driven restrictions and I think you will simply very quickly find out that there is nothing that can be done to avoid these USA laws/rules even though you are in a totally different country, obviously other than something as extreme as getting almost all the governments of the world to unite and work out a better way to enforce what are in effect "world laws" rather than just allowing the most powerful to decide for everyone else.