Help. Render with povray does not work

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dcapeletti

Help. Render with povray does not work

Post by dcapeletti »

Hi, I'm using the Render workbench. I'm currently trying to render the attached file. But for some reason I don't know, the render doesn't happen.

I'm using povray as a rendering engine.

I attach the file of the object I want to render. The payments I make are as follows:
1- I create a povray project. I select the template povray_standart.pov.
2- I put the project in perspective view.
3- I select the objects, in this case the gear body and I give to create a render with the selected objects.
4- Now I press the green ball to render the project and nothing happens. There are no messages, nothing at all.

Is there something I need to do or am I doing wrong?

I enclose the file to render with a copy of the render module configuration. I downloaded the povray executable from http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Ol ... ux-3.6.tgz

I hope you can help me.

Thanks

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17445 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 741dddf25485f692596faa9b7911e2e0f5d362a3
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Spanish/Argentina (es_AR)
Attachments
Engranaje.FCStd
(620.55 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Config render.png
Config render.png (74.75 KiB) Viewed 931 times
dcapeletti

Re: Help. Render with povray does not work

Post by dcapeletti »

I've been looking at the module code, but it will take me even longer to understand how it works. Even making a simple cube doesn't work, the point is that it doesn't produce any images.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There is probably something wrong/missing with your povray install... I remember, long time ago, that povray was unable to write png files outside its own folder unless you turned some variable on.. :roll: Not sure it still applies...

One thing you can do to test: in <your FreeCAD modules folder>/Render/renderers/Povray.py, at line 147, just before the line that begins with os.system, add this line:

Code: Select all

print("executing",prefix+rpath+" "+args+project.PageResult)
So when running the render, you'll get in the python console the exact command that gets executed. You can copy it and run it from a terminal, we might see better what's wrong...
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Hey, thanks for your help. The message that appeared is:

executing /home/dcapeletti/Descargas/povlinux-3.6/povray-3.6/povray +P +A +W800 +H600 /tmp/FreeCAD_Doc_396fb32a-e799-47d8-a351-c9df0ce82e99_da39a3_15911/PovrayProjectnx5kogjp.pov
Now everything works fine. I installed povray using apt-get. I had done it before by unzipping the directory I had downloaded from the url I had previously passed and pointing the configuration to the executable. Now instead, point the executable to /usr/bin/povray.

Now it works well with:

executing /usr/bin/povray +P +A +W800 +H600 /tmp/FreeCAD_Doc_396fb32a-e799-47d8-a351-c9df0ce82e99_da39a3_15911/PovrayProjectnx5kogjp.pov
Thank you, problem solved. :)
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Well after all, I attach the result of the rendering of different workbenches. You can see the differences, maybe the light or the material is not well calibrated.

The gear is the file I attached in the first post.

Thanks
Attachments
Render result.png
Render result.png (257.34 KiB) Viewed 859 times